Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Reminds me of the spring loaded chain tensioners used on dirt bikes in the 70 and 80s. They used a nylon block to bear on the chain and back in the day we replaced the block with ball bearing skate board wheels.

Did they make any difference? who can say, but modern dirt bikes don't use them.

·
Premium Member
20,738 Posts
I've one fitted to one of my dirt bikes. The spring mechanism is from one of those that have a nylon friction block, but I've replaced the block with a ball-bearing nylon roller.

That FreeSpirts one looks to be a beautifully made thing, but a bit expensive at 202€ (USD 256).

They work better on bikes with long suspension travel and consequent generous chain slack figures. On this bike (see the blue roller under chain) it keeps the chain quieter and stops it from trashing about:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
While being a really nice piece, I don't see the need for it on a road bike unless like Forchetto said, it has an extended swingarm. Plus it just adds another friction point that increases wear on the chain.

I have only needed to adjust the chain on my Thrux two or three times in the life of the chain. And I ride it as hard as I can every time I ride.

I actually changed the stock out for a nicer looking and lighter 520 long before it was worn out....

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats kind of what I figured (i.e. Long Swing Arm or Shock Travel) but thought I'd ask. Thanks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Would this be a help for something like track days, where they tell you to get the chain to the loosest setting? That way you can get extra slack without it bouncing about?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts