Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to try the dupont teflon chain lube that several people have mentioned on the board, and I picked up a can of "Dupont Teflon Chain-Saver" "dry, self-cleaning lubricant" (as opposed to the multi-use).

It's a 14 oz commerical can that looks just like this: http://www.netmercury.net/dupontteflonchainsaver-drywaxlubricant-14ozaerosol.aspx?gclid=COfEg-C1vpgCFQO5Ggod6D33ZA.

It doesn't say anything about motorcycles on it, and I want to make sure this is the same stuff as what people are using for Speedy's chain.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Actually, on the link you posted it DOES say O ring safe and for motorcycle and ATV use. I'm using the Multi Use on my S-3 chain and also on just about everything else in my shop.

Wondering out loud whether C-M approves of that for use in chain hoists?

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
My local Lowe's had it when I was there in the fall, but , oddly, didn't have it last week. I went to Lowe's online, and they only show it as available via online in my zip code. For some reason, not all Lowe's stock this...they do have what looks like the 11 oz can online for $4.98, with a whopping $7.09 to ship it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I on my old bike DRZ400SM i did 12000kms rain hail or shine and lubed the chain every second tank of gas and cleaned it every 1000kms. There was no visible wear on either the chain or the sprockets, looked new.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I did a Google on it and found that Lowes sells it but on-line only. Way too much $ when adding shipping from anybody. I think I will just have to go down to a MC shop and get some chain wax at over inflated MC shop prices. Thanks Jo mamma.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I just bought three 14 oz cans online. The shipping charges aren't as bad if you buy in bulk.

Shipping was the same for 3 cans vs 1 can ($6). I can deal with $6 per can, its cheaper than buying the messy stuff from the dealer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just bought three 14 oz cans online. The shipping charges aren't as bad if you buy in bulk.

Shipping was the same for 3 cans vs 1 can ($6). I can deal with $6 per can, its cheaper than buying the messy stuff from the dealer.
So you got the "Chain-Saver" stuff (like my original post) instead of the "Multi-Use" then?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I emailed DuPont awhile back about this. I had looked at the MSDS sheets and couldn't tell a difference. They responded that the Chain-saver and the Mulit-use are the same product. Chain-saver is marketed for industrial/agricultural use and distributed thru those type supply houses. Multi-use was the same product, but much more widely available. Lowe's does have it--I buy in in-store, usually by the tool section. I've been pretty happy with the stuff so far on my SprintST. If I still have the email somewhere (doubtful, but I'll look) I could foward it.

Kevin

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I emailed DuPont awhile back about this. I had looked at the MSDS sheets and couldn't tell a difference. They responded that the Chain-saver and the Mulit-use are the same product. Chain-saver is marketed for industrial/agricultural use and distributed thru those type supply houses. Multi-use was the same product, but much more widely available. Lowe's does have it--I buy in in-store, usually by the tool section. I've been pretty happy with the stuff so far on my SprintST. If I still have the email somewhere (doubtful, but I'll look) I could foward it.

Kevin
Thanks for answering my question.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Finally had a chance to apply the chain saver lube I bought online a couple of weeks ago and I gotta say, this stuff is amazing.

Not only does it go on really clean, it cuts the other grim right off. Before I picked this stuff up, I'd use to have to scrub the hell out of my chain, sprokcet and heel guard just to get the extra lube/gunk off, but the chain saver lube sliced right through that gunk, without any rubbing or scrubbing. The old lube literally slid right off. It couldn't have done a better job if I had hit it with a power washer.

I have no idea how well this actually lubricates, but assuming it works as well as the old gunk I was using from the dealer, there is no reason not to switch to this.

Anyone's thoughts on using this on the rear shock? I haven't been running a rear hugger and I think it'd do a good job cutting the grime. If its safe enough to use on the chain, it'd probably be safe enough to use on the shocks seals, right?

On another note, I'm thinking I might take a can of this up to the local ski resort to go tubing. Straight Christmas Vacation style.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Teflon Chain Saver & Degreaser

This thread is a bit old, but if anyone is still looking for somewhere local to buy the Teflon chain lube, I've been able to get Chain Saver at pretty much any Wal-mart. The also carry DuPont's chain degreaser which I highly recommend. Oh yeah, and if you've been using some other brand of lube and now your chain is an unholy mess, I was also able to pick up a grunge brush. I highly recommend these products and now that they're locally available, no reason to keep paying for the expensive, messy stuff.

·
Premium Member
8,400 Posts
Yep. Picked up a "six pack" of it back in November when Wal-Mart had a sale on it. The store near me doesn't carry the Degreaser though. Doing a search, found it at a store across town. I may drive out and pick some up if it is that good. I need a new Grunge Brush, and that one seems to carry those as well, so it sounds like it would be worth the trip.

Thanks!

This thread is a bit old, but if anyone is still looking for somewhere local to buy the Teflon chain lube, I've been able to get Chain Saver at pretty much any Wal-mart.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts