Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just put a new set of tires on Speedy....a set of Roadsmarts. I had a set of Bridgestones BT016's.

Here's the comparison:

Roadsmarts:
1) Very stable and better in the rain. In fact- excellent in rain.
2) Supposed to get twice the mileage ( I don't know as they are new )
3) Heavy tire. I noticed a slight acceleration difference. These are made with steel beads. The steering is more stable however and less upset by bumps while leaned at slow speeds.
The side wall is really supple and smooth.
4) Excellent feel tipping in and turning. Reversals are smooth. Very neutral.
5) Hard decelerations and downshifting while upright can cause the rear wheel to break traction for a moment and then hook up...more so than the BT016's. The center rubber is hard for longevity. When leaned in, this is not really an issue. l can tell my confidence level is ever so slightly lower on these.

BT016's:
1) Awesome traction. This is the choice if you are really pushing it and decelerating really hard. Sticks well...even in the center.
2) Wear out faster...especially on the edges if you hit it hard. I wore my front tire's edges out in 3 days of hard core cornering. Before that happened I got 4500 miles from both the front and rear.
3) Lighter = Awesome acceleration. They spin up quicker than the Roadsmarts. They are made with a light aramid bead.
4) Great feel also but my front end was very sensitive to bumps. Perhaps due to the light weight. Tip-in was neutral and not too aggressive.

I know I am comparing a fast road tire with a sport touring one. If it weren't for longevity, I would take the BT016's naturally. But, these Roadsmarts are pretty darn good for a non-hyper tire. I am very happy. We shall see if I get a lot of mileage. I would like to see 6500-8000 miles from them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Michelin Pilot Road2

I had Bridgestones on the my '04 S3 when I bought it with 4,500km on the clock, and had to get rid of them soon after - they may have been abused. I went to a Pilot Road on the back and a Pilot Power on the back; this was a big improvement on handling, but the next set, dual compound Pilot2 tyres, was a revelation. I'm now at 30,000km having had the Pilot2's on for 12,000km; there's still plenty of life left in them, and they've been the most confidence-inspiring tyres I've had on a bike - wet and dry.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ya. That's Michelin's comparable tire to the Roadsmarts.

The word around here is that it is an awesome tire too if you are looking for some longevity and good handling. I think with either one you are going to be saving a lot of money and not losing very much unless you do track days or you're simply a crazy road rider. I just went down yesterday to cyclegear and bought a pair of Road2's. I couldn't pass up 20% off. Even if I get 10 thousand miles from these Dunlops, I'll still have to re-skin in about 5 months.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Sooooooo, do you lot use nitrogen in your tyres? I do and it made a world of difference on my second set of tyres. The most fluctuation I had was about 1psi when I rode to Canadia. When I got back it went back to the original setting! Sweet!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why didn't I think of that? !! I am going to Costco tomorrow and I'll have them give me a fill.
Great Idea!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Pilot Road IIs myself. I've NEVER managed to wear out a Dunlop, I've always reaplaced them, sooner rather then later. The last Bridgestone I had was the Battlecrap that came on a GSX-R they got replaced under 2000 miles.

Pirrelli, Metzler, Michelin are the only tires I've had that I likes. I wanted to try the Diablo Strata when I got my road IIs, but they weren't stocked and I didn't have time to wait for them to be ordered.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Timely post because I just picked up a set of BT-016s. I didn't really need new tires yet but they were such a good deal I could not pass them up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
How about BT21?

Has anyone tried BT21 on their Speedy? I was running BT16s on a Honda Hornet 600 and ended up with BT21 replacements (that's all the shop had) and they rode really well considering they are for touring/heavy bikes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a set o 21's on my 02s3, I've been fairly pleased with them, but as they have wore I've noticed the front is wearing kinda wierd, it's not cupping on the sides but I'm getting a high center strip, I've done a bit more intererstate riding than usual, but not to cause it this extreme, at least in my mind. Also it might just be me, but when I lay the corners over it (the bike doesn't feel right). I had the 16's when I bought the bike and wore them out too fast, but they were awesome grippy. so I thought I'd give the 21's a try. I'll be going back to Metzler z6's (had them on my last bike bandit 600) they were a very confident tire.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Jeeptchr, I had the same strange wear on BT21s on a XJR1300. There were all sorts of theories, like the the weight of the bike, braking into corners etc. But other than that was pleased with them. Like you suggest, not convinced they would work well on a Speedy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts