Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone had any experience with dunlop d220 tyres?
im under the impression they are more touring than sport
there's some 160/60/18 on ebay for £55, and with fronts available for £50 that makes sense to me.
justin

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Meh. My Trident came with a D208 front/D220 rear. I loved that D208 front, but it was used up long before the rear! I replaced it with a D220 front, & it just wasn't nearly as grippy. I didn't hate the D220, I just didn't like it near as much as I liked the D208.

Sorry, highly subjective, but there it is.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the front took about 1500 miles just to wear the hairy bits off so i expect them to last.
feel ok for ambling about but if you start to get a bit lairy the front isnt up to it at all. heavy braking fully loaded i thought the head bearings were loose(ther're not), and on tight bends there was a distinct weave.

so, ok for touring/commuting and normal road speeds, but no good if you just go out for a knee down blast on sunday mornings.

justin

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
My Sprint had D220's when I bought it. I always thought that it didn't corner well at low speeds and put it off to the top-heavy nature of the beast. It wasn't til a year or so later when I switched to the Road Attacks that I realized it was the tires and not the bike.
D220's are OK, but I like the Road Attacks much better. I also have Pilot Road 2's on the RS and IMHO they'd be a better choice than the D220's too

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
aye mate, just thought id mention them as they're available in 18'' rear, for the poor folks among us who have with 18'' rears there isnt a great variety.
justin

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi Villageidiot
We had a brief exchange when I was looking to change tyres about 1k miles ago. I saw the Dunlops and thought about fitting them, mainly due to price, but was dissuaded by a friend who has a Sprint ST, and a BMW K1200S, both with Mitchelin Pilot Road 2 fitted.
I have now done 1k miles on the Mitchelins, and am very happy with the tyres. The previous tyres were Bridgestones, fitted long ago prior to my buying the bike (750 Trident) and I noticed that the bike tended to not handle as expected at low speed, and the Mitchelins solved that. I have ridden in the dry, and wet ( well I live in the UK...) and have started to build confidence in them.
Clearly several folks here have far more experience on the Dunlops, but just thought I would add my 2 cents worth.;)
Roger

·
Registered
44 Posts
My 1st motorcycle came with them. I didn't like them at all. I switched to the Bridgestone BT 016's and I'm really happy with them.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
aye mate, just thought id mention them as they're available in 18'' rear, for the poor folks among us who have with 18'' rears there isnt a great variety.
justin

I didn't think about that. I'm not sure what the availability is for 18" rears in the Conti and Michelin.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
IIRC, the whole reason the Road Attacks got popular on this particular forum was that the rear is available in 160/60/18. I remember thinking it was kind of ironic that the 18" availability led more or less directly to my putting Road Attacks on my RS with its 17" rear.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well I can confirm that the Mitchelin is available in 160/60/18 rear, for my Trident, here in the UK. Price for a pair, was 225 pounds fitted, ride in. Not cheap, but if I recall, they are the only contact with the road (most of the time), so maybe worth the cash.....:rolleyes:
Roger

1 - 10 of 10 Posts