Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new(.9 miles)BLACK 08 Thruxton and it's below zero tonight.Whew!!!! Anyway,when the freeze is over I would like to ride the bike-right!,here is the problem,I can't get the gas cap off!!!!!!
I've turned it counterclockwise,with and without pressing it down.
I've tried lifting up,no luck.Any ideas what i'm doing wrong.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Pretty common with these caps. Had the same problem with my first Hinckely. Elbow grease, my man. Grab hard and twist hard, it'll come off. Only happened that first time for me.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Dumb question needs a dumb question !! :) is it fitted with a lockin cap ??

if its the same type of cap that the Adventurer has, i had no end of bother with that, my big hands couldn`t grip it, i ended up carryin a rubber band to put round it when i needed to get it off !!

KK ex Adventurer rider !!

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Like DavidC said,they all do it. A combo of a dry rubber gasket in the cap and fresh paint in the filler neck usually lock it tight.Just keep at it,counterclockwise,and it will loosen.I smeared a dab of gas on the gasket and then the paint chipped off in the neck,and no problems since.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Rubber strap wrench also works well if you happen to have one. Mine has only frozen up once in the year I've had my Thrux. I am now careful at fill-up to only tighten until snug.

·
Registered
799 Posts
So, I guess you have not read these posts yet:

How cold till we quit riding? (
Thruxton mpg (
are we becoming the new chopper? (
Gear Pedal adjustable ?
Which style helmet for Thruxton? (

LOL - just joking guys - well sort of.....

I had the same problem, I squeezed like a mother and it slipped loose - go for it, if it doesn't work do some push ups for a day or two, that may get you on the right track.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I had the same, on the first day. I finally went in and rummaged through the kitchen drawers to see what appliances my Bride might have for getting jar lids off. She had just the thing, a leather strap affair with a wooden handle. She caught me at it, and inquired "Are you going to take that out in the shop?" I allowed as how I didn't have to, I could always bring the bike into the kitchen. She considered that for a moment, decided I just might, and handed it over. Worked a treat.
I sanded the "sharps" off the threads, seemed to help, and I tighten with two fingers. It's gotten better with wear.
Redhawk

·
Registered
730 Posts
It took me using both hands and a good deal of my vocabulary to remove mine the first month or so and then, it started to loosen up and behave like a normal cap.
I used one of those "waffle" type rubber pads they sell for removing stubborn jar lids so as not to scratch the tank.
Perseverance furthers...

·
Registered
6 Posts
....me too

HI I had exactly the same problem on saturday. Picked up my new (second hand) 05 thrux. First time at the servo (gas station) I couldnt get the cap off. Because it was new i didnt force it. It turned until it got to a hard end that i didnt force as a figured that it must have been some lock to do with the ignition. F***ed around for ages; key in, key out- until i realised i just needed to give it an bit of extra effor to get past the last twist. Great - fueled up ready to go. I go to put air in the tyre and i cant get the air hose tip onto the rear tyre valve. tried for twenty minutes. Visited the nearby tyre workshop and asked for help. The pro's had the same problem. They had an extension for the valve which worked and they gave to me.
175kms later the throttle starts clagging OMG theres something in the fuel filter. Not so. Lack of fuel was the problem. I was used to a much longer range fuel tank. Confidence in the bike was restored. So i had three dufus moments in one day. I win.
cheers.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Took me 20 minutes to get my stock cap off first time I tried. Had to go home on reseve and use tools, strap wrench, to remove the first time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gas cap blues

Thanks for all the replies.I've had a zillion motorcycles(well 30) and I've ne had this happen.I thought that after 30+ years of biking I could at least put gas in the damm thing.When it gets up to 30 degrees or so.I'll try again with a lid remover.I really need to put Stabil in the tank and get the battery out.Again,thanks.

·
Registered
10,632 Posts
When you put it back on, one click, no more.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Thanks for all the replies.I've had a zillion motorcycles(well 30) and I've ne had this happen.I thought that after 30+ years of biking I could at least put gas in the damm thing.When it gets up to 30 degrees or so.I'll try again with a lid remover.I really need to put Stabil in the tank and get the battery out.Again,thanks.
Don't worry , man . That wasn't the dumbest question this year . Anything you do just don't ask any of the big 3 dumbarse questions :
1) Where is my Triumph made ? :brick:
2) What is my MPG ? :brick:
3) What oil should I use ? :brick:

BTW - Congrats on the new bike ! :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts