Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a photo of a thruxton from britalmoto in Switzerland, that had Ducati 996 or 798 forks on it. Has anyone else done this or thought about it? How difficult would it be to pull this off? Are there any parts in the setup that could be used from another triumph bike?

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
It is hard to tell from the pictures, but they may have used a custom triple clamp. If you do that, you can make almost anything fit. I'm using custom triples on my current project bike to mount Aprilia Ohlins forks to a 955 Daytona frame.

There isn't anything special about the stock Duc forks, especially the 996 vintage. I would look for either Ohlins (i.e. Ducati "S" models) or later Japanese forks that use radial brakes. Recognize that your "real" issue is going to be mounting appropriate brake rotors to a Thruxton-style wheel. That would be one reason to consider a Ducati Sport Classic front end, but finding one will probably be difficult.

As for the fork swap details, there is a sticky in the Sprint forum that discusses the process in-depth.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can get a custom triple clamp to go with a set of 748 forks I have laying around from britalmoto, but they want $419 for it... What do you think? Is that the price range a custom clamp goes for?

Sent from my iPad using Motorcycle

·
Registered
959 Posts
419 for custom triples? That's dirt cheap and you should buy them right now!:D

I wonder if they will ship to the us?

There is no way to have a stock triple work without using a custom stem as the stock late model ducati stems use a 35mm ID upper and lower bearing, and there's really no way to fit a 35mm ID top bearing in the triumph frame (mostly because no one really makes one lol).

I was debating snagging a set of Marzocchi RAC43 SBK forks to run GSXR triples but this might possibly change my mind. A set of 1098 forks with the black radial bottoms and DLC coated inner tubes would look mean for sure!

·
Registered
58 Posts
What you need to do is press the triumph steering stem into the ducati lower tripples. To do so a sleeve may need to be made to take up the gap in the duc lower tripple and the smaller triumph stem. I have put kawasaki zx6r forks and honda crf450 forks on the bonnie and its pretty easy if you know what your doing.

·
Super Moderator
21,935 Posts
The problem is the ducati steering stem diameter (35mm) and finding bearings to suit
So yes swapping the Triumph stem, which will require custom sleeves top and bottom to make it fit in the ducati triples, is way to go
The bottom sleeve of course will be interference, the top one clearance

Suzuki forks/triples are easier to swap - there are bearings available for the 30mm Suzuki steering stem to fit the Triumph Steering Head

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
959 Posts
I emailed them this afternoon about those triples and they said $1200 BEFORE shipping. So...there goes that idea.

As for pressing the triumph stem into the duc triple, I thought the Triumph stem was threaded no? If not I guess that would simplify things except you would only have to use the base model, non adjustable headstock triples which means you'd be limited to 53/53mm standard SBK showas...which is fine.

My question it what do you do up top? The late model duc triples use the large top nut to secure the stem. This is then clamped by the top triple. The only think I could see working here would be to make a double sided nut with threading for the triumph stem inside and an outer diamter and threading for the duc top nut so it would slip over the stem in a sense, but still provide the pre-load and still be clamped by the top triple. You could cut the stem down a bit and machine a hex fitting into the top of it to drive it onto the stem. If the stem is long enough I guess it would poke through enough for a spacer and nut on top but that just seems busy.

I think an intermediate sleeve that threads onto the triumph stem and accepts the duc top pre-load nut is the cleanest solution....if it could work.

Like DEcosse said though, most late model japanese triples running 30mm stems will bolt right up with a new top bearing.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Why the ducati front end? Wanting to keep it all triumph parts, I'm about to do a daytona 675 front end. The gsxr from my research is the easiest way to go. GSXR front ends are much cheap than the D675 or ducati front ends. Plus with the gsxr the stem I believe is the same length as the thruxton so there is no need to add a spacer or swap the stem. The bearing are easy to find too with being a 30mm ID.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts