Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the Ducati race bikes at the stealer. I had heard their maintenance costs were higher. My jaw dropped when I heard it was going to be $1200 for a major service. WOW. The Ducati mechanic took me back in the shop where he had one apart. He explained to me what needed to be done and showed me. He even told me why he needed to "pressurize" the cylinders with compressed air so the valves don't drop into the cylinder when the clip is removed for the adjustment.

He says that there are a lot of people that save up and buy one and then are forced to sell them because they can't afford the service intervals.
What a freakin' labor nightmare.
How many of you guys know this?

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I keep thinking I want to buy a K1200S as a second bike, but Beemers are expensive to maintain so I may just get a Tiger. There is some cool exotic bikes out there, but unless your Jay Leno,,,forget it.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Well, that's quite an exaggeration. Must be that in your neighbourhood rip-off is way above norm.
First, 6K service is not major service, it's just second service (after 600 mile). Nothing happens there, no valve adjustment as the crooked mechanic was trying to tell you about. Normally you would pay ~$200-$300 for it (in honest shop).
Second, service intervals on all post 2006 Ducatis have been extended to 7.5K. Ducati also provided list of what service should include, which is usually half of that what some shops try to con you into.
So the first major service comes at 15k, and here you may drop $800-1000. That's the reason why more technically inclined Ducati owners try to perform it themselves. Of course, there is much larger group of Ducati owners who bought bike as status symbol, and have philosophy "if you have to ask about price you cannot afford it". They pay what's asked, put 1.5-2k miles per year and are proud of being ducatisti. For them this is the price of membership, more expensive means more exclusive.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thats retarded.

Not to mention that since you do the valves with the piston at TDC the valves sit quite neatly ON the piston when you have the clips off. This is exactly what the tech was doing to his bike when I inquired about how you do the desmodronic's valves.

I guess the local dealer here is a bit more honest.

·
Registered
373 Posts
They call Ducati the motorcycle equivalent to Ferrari for a reason.
Wait until you guys find out the costs of running a Ferrari every day! There's a reason why Ferraris and Ducatis aren't used for daily riding.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've put 10k miles on my triumph in under 4 months.

How much maintenance costs would that be if it was a Ducati?

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Yes they did -I loved my Spitfire -1964-white-European Purchase and driven all over that place !!! We had a Tr-3 also but it was very tired-still fun!

·
Registered
201 Posts
just for comparison, what do you guys pay for your 6k service on the S3?

LOL

Last time I took it in for a service was somewhere around 65,000miles with a shopping list...and I didn't feel like doing it all out in the dirt (no garage at the time).

Valves...all 6 intakes were tight
Throttle Boddy Gromets, #3 was leaking replaced all three
Thottle boddy balance/O2 check
Stepper Motor Tube...eh, New Mexico is HARD on rubber
Flush Raditor, again more or less basic.
New tires.

The total bill was like $975 or so, but the tires were $430 intalled. So all the rest was was like $550 with part and labor. However this is from a VERY good dealer. When I looked they only charged me 1 1/2 hours for the valves, here they want two hours for fork seals.

Just got to love a place where the first thing you seen walking to the service desk is the owners 999R all beat up leaning against the wall in his office.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just something you have to be ready for...

They aren't something to buy without doing some homework.
There can be a big difference in the labor for 2 valve vs. 4 valve Ducatis. Additionally on some models getting to the valves can be time consuming.

I do all the work on my Speed Triple with the exception of throttle body sync, fork seals, and tire mounting. As for my 998, I also have the dealer do the valve adjustments and change the timing belts. Too many special tools involved and not much room for error on adjusting the belts.

I've had the valves and belts done twice in the three 1/2 years I've had it. The manual for my bike calls for changing the belts every 12k or 24 months. The last service was $700 for belts, valves and flush of brake fluid front and rear. $250 for the belts, 4 valve shims and brake fluid, the rest was labor.

I have to watch how much I ride it to keep the miles down. Of course it isn't nearly as practical for daily use as Speedy. Unless I hit the lottery, I can't see having a Ducati as my only bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well you don't buy a Ducati for cheap servicing - if that was my main objective I'd go Japanese

There is just something special about the Dukes that bring that wierd smile to your face (just like a Speedy but different)

I'm lucky to have a Speedy and a 900SS Final Edition and the main reason I bought the Speedy was to keep the miles down on the FE but regardless on how much it costs to service I'll hopefully never let the FE go!

They are more of a Sunday bike than a regular ride - just like other Italian icons

Stu

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...So you are saying that Ducati's don't hold up to everyday use? --or --They are ungodly expensive to use for their intended purpose..riding?

·
Registered
206 Posts
That was my biggest concern, the valves and maintenance, when signing for the Ducati Streetfighter. But the dealer told me the 1098 engine it's based on can go 15000 miles with no issues before a valve check, and even then it's not a black art to do it myself. I have friends who are geniuses in that area, and my awesome dealer said he'd lend me any tools at no charge (the shop is a fantastic place to do business).

A local guy has over 25000 miles on his 1098S and the engine is perfecto!

FYI, same dealer told me the maintenance on the Ducati Monster would break me.

·
Registered
300 Posts
LOL

The total bill was like $975 or so, but the tires were $430 intalled. So all the rest was was like $550 with part and labor. However this is from a VERY good dealer. When I looked they only charged me 1 1/2 hours for the valves, here they want two hours for fork seals.
That's insane... my dealer tried to charge me 2 hours ($180) just to install clip on's.

I need to move.

It's too cold here and the shops are a rip off.

·
Registered
201 Posts
That's insane... my dealer tried to charge me 2 hours ($180) just to install clip on's.

I need to move.

It's too cold here and the shops are a rip off.

To bad that shop was in New Mexico. I've yet to find a shop to do maintenance here in Jersey. But then, I have a garage now and don't really need one. I just picked up a 1500lb cherry picker for $170 and can use that to do my suspension work.

But then I might be getting a new Speedie froma shop in Baltimore. They had a pretty attackive OTD price on a couple left over 08's.

·
Registered
300 Posts
You talking about Pete's Cycle?

That's where I got mine. If you head down there, ask for Jeff. He'll hook you up.

Where did you get the cherry picker?

·
Registered
201 Posts
You talking about Pete's Cycle?

That's where I got mine. If you head down there, ask for Jeff. He'll hook you up.

Where did you get the cherry picker?
Craigslist LOL

...and yes it's Pete's. Still debating if I want to go grab a new bike in this ******** weather. Looking and TWO fricking bikes that it's to damned cold to ride would drive me nuts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts