Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, ive looked through alot of the tire talk on the forum and javent seen much about replacing t120 tires with a dual sport tire. I like the look of the knobby wheels and hit gravel roads on some of my rides. I ride daily commute which is all pavement so i dont want to lose too much traction and have been looling for something no less than 70 % on road 30% off... Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or even knows of any tires that fit the t120. Ive found that these tire sizes are a pain in the dual sport tire world. Any help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'll second the vote for Continental TKC70. If you want even more off road worthiness go with a TKC80 on the front.

Chuck

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just ordered the Heidenau K60 Scouts. Come well recommended and look cracking on the Bonneville.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just ordered the Heidenau K60 Scouts. Come well recommended and look cracking on the Bonneville.
Have you rode with these? Im skeptical about going 50/50 as mahoroty of my rode is on road and i dont wanna lose to much in the corners.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Ask some big dual sport riders like the GS or KTMs see what they use . They weight about what a T120 does. My friends swear by Shinkos and they ride tens of thousands of miles a year. They do highway and real off roading.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Have you rode with these? Im skeptical about going 50/50 as mahoroty of my rode is on road and i dont wanna lose to much in the corners.
Yes, on a friend's bike which helped me decide and order a pair for myself- he rides mainly on motorways and was quite happy with them with over 1500 miles on the clock. They seemed quite stable with increased cornering grip due to more surface area at lean. On the flip side, its noisy at over 60 mph. Feedback from others I know and on this forum is positive too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So the search continues... I am having a rrally hard time finding the spec sizes on matching tires with the funny size front wheel on the t120 (100/90/18). Im curious if anyone has used a wider or higer aspect ratio? There are lots of dual sports i have found with these values being different.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Since my original stock tires have only lasted 7,000 miles I have been looking to replace them with a dual sport tire as well. Out here in Colorado we have a lot of sand and gravel on the roads and wanted something a bit more aggressive, especially in front, to maintain grip. I would love the Michelin Anakee III but as mentioned above it doesn't (and most ADV tires don't) come in an 18". Too bad as I was gifted a slightly used rear and would prefer the match for the front. The Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2 tires (also mentioned above) get great ratings for traction, even in wet, longevity and even wear and I figure to put a set of those on soon as they do make an 18" match. Just got to save the bucks first though.

·
Registered
275 Posts
You hear of everyone putting Heidenau K60 Scouts on their T120's. When I went to buy them, the front tire was listed as being made but out of stock virtually everywhere. That has been a year ago, it may have changed. I put on a set of Shinko 705's and they lasted quite well. They were noisy though, but sure worked well on gravel and dirt roads. Tire selection is limited for the T120, that's for sure! Particularly the front tire.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update *

Aftet a lot of research i went with shinko 705s. The front tire as we've discussed is an odd ball size for dual sports but thru my research i found out the 120/80 fits the t120 fine. That being said, i had put a shorty front fender on but used the existing brackets. When the tire was installed all looked and felt fine with no rubbing and enough clearance. However, after taking it out on the highway for a few hrs i stayed to feel (and hear) rubbing and sure enough, the tire was f'd all down the centre. Took it back to my buddys shop and he said because the tire expands at higher speeds it was now rubbing the bracket. Easy enough fix, drilled the holes in bracket to make thwm slotted and raised the fender another 3/8s of inch and havent had an issue. Not sure if the same would happen with stock fender or not but the tires are awesome. Have been on dirt roads, highway and in the rain thus far and couldn't say one bad thing about em. And they look awesome!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts