Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I truly hate to start another tire thread, but I am having a hard time.

I am going on a southwestern US adventure during the first week of July
and am thinking I should get some new rubber beforehand. I am interested
in finding an 80/20 dual sport tire, as I am sure I will be hitting some
dirt/gravel while out there. I am having a lot of trouble finding an 18" tire
for the front, though.

I found a couple tires that would be a match for the front, but they are specifically
designated as a rear tire. Does this actually matter? Does anyone have a dual sport
tire suggestion that would work for a Thruxton?

The only tires I am able to find in the correct size are the Pirelli Scorpion Trail II,
but they are listed as a tubeless tire. Also, the correct size for the front is bias
play and the rear is radial. If i'm not mistaken, the stock tires are mixed, but I am
not sure if I should avoid this.

*I am willing to stick to stock sizes or go up to a 110 for the front and 140 for the back.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I do believe you can use a tubeless tire with a tube. This might help answer the question: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/new-r...0/october/oct2710-tubes-with-tubeless-tyres-/

You could try a set of Shinko 804 & 805, but that might be more of a dirt tread than you're looking for. Another choice might be Conti Trail Attack 2 Dual Sport tires. Although the one's I'd look at first to see
if they'd fit would be the Continental TKC-70's. I'm seriously thinking about a pair for my Tiger.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
On the bias versus radial question I can confirm that while I ride a Bonneville and not a Thruxton, it too comes as standard with a bias up front and a radial at the rear. This is only a problem if you're attempting to fit a bias tyre to your bike and it was actually supplied with radials all round. I grew up at a time when there were adverts on the TV warning of dubious handling when mixing radial and bias ply tyres on your car so it gave me an odd feeling when I spotted the lack of an R on the front tyre. If the bike is supplied that way it is ok and not indicative of any inherent cutting of corners in the handling or safety department. This link is to a tyre selector page on the Triumph UK site and if you use the link on that page it will provide you with a PDF document confirming the EFI Thruxton has a non radial front tyre (I'm assuming your details are correct and you have a 2014 Thruxton). Hope that's a little more reassuring,

Andy

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have fitted new Metzelers to my Bonnie Newchurch, front Z8 interact, rear Tourance. These are both radials but it's dual sport rear and sport touring front. If you went to 110/80R18 on the front, you could do similar with a good choice in sports touring front and dual sport rear. I love the feel the Z8 interact has given to the steering, it's light and positive and very secure too. I like Metzeler but you could do the same with your brand of choice.

ps. I would stick with a 'front' on the front and 'rear' on the rear!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do believe you can use a tubeless tire with a tube. This might help answer the question: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/new-r...0/october/oct2710-tubes-with-tubeless-tyres-/

You could try a set of Shinko 804 & 805, but that might be more of a dirt tread than you're looking for. Another choice might be Conti Trail Attack 2 Dual Sport tires. Although the one's I'd look at first to see
if they'd fit would be the Continental TKC-70's. I'm seriously thinking about a pair for my Tiger.
Cool, thanks for the info! I looked into the Shinko 804/805 and Conti Trail Attack 2, but neither come in an 18" front. The Conti TKC-70 is the one I was looking at that comes in a 4" (101.6 mm) for an 18" rim. Very close to the stock size, but it is designated as a rear tire. Not sure if that poses an issue

On the bias versus radial question I can confirm that while I ride a Bonneville and not a Thruxton, it too comes as standard with a bias up front and a radial at the rear. This is only a problem if you're attempting to fit a bias tyre to your bike and it was actually supplied with radials all round. I grew up at a time when there were adverts on the TV warning of dubious handling when mixing radial and bias ply tyres on your car so it gave me an odd feeling when I spotted the lack of an R on the front tyre. If the bike is supplied that way it is ok and not indicative of any inherent cutting of corners in the handling or safety department. This link is to a tyre selector page on the Triumph UK site and if you use the link on that page it will provide you with a PDF document confirming the EFI Thruxton has a non radial front tyre (I'm assuming your details are correct and you have a 2014 Thruxton). Hope that's a little more reassuring,

Andy
Thanks for that info! Yes it is a 2014 and that is very reassuring.

Now that I know tubes can be run in a tubeless tire and I can run bias-ply in the front, I think I will just go with the Pirelli Scorpion Trail II. the 130/80-17 for the rear appears to be out of stock everywhere I look, so I think I am going to run 140/80-17 for the rear and 100/90-18 for the front. I am hoping to get them ordered this weekend.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have what I would consider dual sport tires on my Thrux. I don't recall what brand they are, as they were on the bike when I bought it. I also am having one hell of a time uploading pictures to the thread. I think there are pics of my bike in the "My garage" section. I'll look at what brand they are when I get home later tonight.

robert

·
Registered
199 Posts
Did anyone address the rear-on-the-front issue yet?

This should not be an issue. It is common to swap front to rear on narrower tires.
Often folks will mount a tire reversed if it is on the "wrong" end. You may notice that tires built to use on either end will have the directional arrows going opposite directions for front vs rear use.
I believe the assumption there is that the main stress on the front tire is braking where the main force on the rear is acceleration, therefor the heaviest forces are reversed.

I am using Conti Trail Attacks on my Scrambler and they are fine road tires. I have not done much off-road though, only a bit of dry, fairly well groomed dirt and gravel.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did anyone address the rear-on-the-front issue yet?

This should not be an issue. It is common to swap front to rear on narrower tires.
Often folks will mount a tire reversed if it is on the "wrong" end. You may notice that tires built to use on either end will have the directional arrows going opposite directions for front vs rear use.
I believe the assumption there is that the main stress on the front tire is braking where the main force on the rear is acceleration, therefor the heaviest forces are reversed.
I was just about to update the post because after some research I have found the same information about running the rear in the front. This may open up some more options as long as speed ratings match.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have what I would consider dual sport tires on my Thrux. I don't recall what brand they are, as they were on the bike when I bought it. I also am having one hell of a time uploading pictures to the thread. I think there are pics of my bike in the "My garage" section. I'll look at what brand they are when I get home later tonight.

robert
I took a look at the pic of your bike, I like the way those tires look. I cannot tell what they are, so I appreciate the info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts