Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yep. as stupid as it sounds. bought my 07 machine 2nd hand with a disc brake lock (without reminder cord..doh) - totally forgot i'd put it on and pull away before - crrrrunch. i soon stopped.

there doesn't seem to be any damage, just some cosmetic scratches. the lock came off ok. no chips on the disc.

i've ridden it and have tested the front brake at various stopping power - it seem absolutely fine.

the only worrying thing is that the outer ring of the disc 'moves' slightly if i grab it and wiggle hard. it appears to move on the little connector rings that join it to the wheel.

q. is it normal to 'give' a little when wobbled? or i have damaged it?

clearly brakes are not to be messed with. can anyone offer some advice? thanks so much.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The disc should move or float on the carriers/little discs thingys, thats why they're called floating disc brakes.

Ever now and again when you cleaning the bike, stick somthing in those little carriers and spin then around a few times or they'll jam up eventually and your brakes won't be as good.

You are not alone, loads of people have done this.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
You are not alone, loads of people have done this.
Yep, I can raise my hand to that o,ne.

On my 749r...:eek: The tiniest mark on the front carbon fender. Sheesh, but i never got eh reminder cord after that.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I almost did the same thing once when I forgot to attach the reminder cord. I say almost because I have a Xena disclock with an alarm and the high pitched scream stopped me from engaging the clutch just in time. Recommended piece of kit! Mind you, it's still embarrassing having to switch off the motor, and get off to remove the lock!:eek:

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Ever now and again when you cleaning the bike, stick somthing in those little carriers and spin then around a few times or they'll jam up eventually and your brakes won't be as good.
Taking preventive maintenance to avoid the having the discs jam on the bobbins is a good idea. We have had members that thought they had a warped disc when it was just a binding bobbin causing the problem.

Just do not get carried away with the 'spinning' because the springs are very very thin and fragile. They are not designed to withstand rotational friction to any degree. I have seen more than one broken.

Just me, but when I clean them I only use finger pressure to assure that they can turn and are not binding. Another thing to remember is that the Sprint discs are referred to as 'floating', when in fact, they are not full floaters. They are semi-floaters (the exact terminology escapes me), so you should not expect as much lateral movement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Team triumph - thanks for the quick response and putting my fears at bay.

off to buy a new wheel lock with alarm and reminder cord!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I'm one of the members that thought my rotors were warped. I tried cleaning the bobbins to no avail and since I had a second set laying around I just went ahead and installed them onto the wheel and problem solved.

The Stuck bobbins did not move whatsoever and I beleive the reason is that the bike the wheel came off had been sitting for a really long time and had a lack of maintenance.

Moral of the story though is to keep up on the bobbins to prevent them from sticking, nothing scarier then pulling the lever and expecting a solid a nice solid lever but instead hitting your fingers on with the levers

·
Registered
896 Posts
Also don`t stick the disc lock on the back wheel, as you`ll find out (too late) you can`t get the key in to remove it :eek: :eek:
The only way you`ll get it off is remove the back wheel

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Welcome

Hi and welcome rufusbox2:)

We all make silly mistakes it is part of living and learning.

I did a thread once or someone did of most embarrassing moments it was very funny.:D

Anyway if you could please just read our forum sticky threads as we ask all new members to do this.

Cheers,
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
It is easy enough to feel like a dill, you don't need help with a disc lock!! :)

I haven't ever used one for the fear of doing just that.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I did it.

The thing about doing it once is that you aint gonna forget and do it again. :mad:
Same for me:eek: Now I use the flourescent idiot string the colour of the airport fire trucks for those 'oldtimer' moments.

First time I heard of the bobbins having springs though. I am only familiar with car rotors and thought they were all just straightforward trued disks.

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
The central bobbins have little spring type washers on them to allow the disk to semi float - apparently. Mine where all gunked up and caused the brake lever to shudder under braking.

I regularly spray them with brake cleaner when I lube my chain,,, now!

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Trip Rip, probably the reason you never noticed them before is because they are only on the inner side of the discs. They are visible if you look at the inner side of a disc from the opposite side of the wheel. You will notice that they are extremely thin. I'm guessing .40/.45mm.

As the chef said, if they gunk up bad enough you will think you have a warped disc. The bobbins are the first thing that should be checked when a warped disc is suspect.

Steven's probably gunks up a bit more severely than normal which has to make you wonder what sort of places he frequents? :D

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Dont feel bad. I reckon this is one of those "rite of passage" things. Youre not in the club until you can say you have done it.

Of course its even more embarrassing when you have a disc lock on the front and one of those bicycle type U-locks through the back wheel and you only remember the front one...

·
Registered
515 Posts
OnD, please tell me YOU never did this and you are only joking (LOL)... I thought it was only fools like me that could drop a bike cuz I had the disk lock on (Buell 12XBSs) My saving grace was only about 100 people saw it but laught more when the guy on the Goldwing pulled up to see what happened to me and forgot to put his foot down and his bike fell over.

" Oh yes young one, everyone has a story to tell but only the brave will tell it."

Cheers
Poddy

1 - 20 of 24 Posts