Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I knocked my helmet (Arai signet-q) off my mirror and onto the pavement. It landed square on the top of the helmet. It's not (visibly) cracked. Is it ok????

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
It's hard to say.

Go ahead and crash and then see what happens. That's the only way to know for sure.

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
I'm pretty sure, for a fee, you can send it back to Arai. They can scan it and tell you. My guess is you're probably fine. Take out the lining and see if the foam is still intact.
I'd feel more comfortable if it landed on the side rather the top....

If it was mine, I'd still wear it unless there was some visible damage.

Sent from my iPhone;)

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
Leftarm is using scientific logic which is sound. Heavyduty1 and Billbikes are quite possibly right. The only problem is the fact that you're concerned about it enough to post is probably an indication that you won't stop thinking about the drop everytime you put the helmet on. The thought of wearing a helmet that is possibly weakened is going to eat at your brain. In that case, if I were you I would get yourself a new one and sell that one. There are people out there who actually buy used helmets.

·
Premium Member
5,053 Posts
I would roll with it if I were you. My helmet has banged off the pavement a couple times and after examining the lining and foam there is no sign of disintegration. I don't give it a second thought.

·
Premium Member
5,053 Posts
You're right on your toes! The last off I had scuffed up my gear left and right front and back. I'm done with that now, though. :rolleyes:

H

·
0 Posts
I agree with others here about if it didn't fall far it probably is fine. But one of the other comments made regarding you worrying about it should be looked at.

If you find yourself worrying whilst riding about your helmet safety then $hitt can it and get another. distractions will kill you as dead as a bad helmet.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
My wife crashed this summer and it F'ed up her helmet (scratched) pretty good...

I was interested in what kind of damage it could take...so I smashed it over and over again on the driveway while holding it...then threw it down hard from over my head multiple times on the concrete...

I know this seems pretty scientific...but other than the shield and some of the trim pieces falling off...the actual helmet never cracked or came apart...I took the liner out and the styrofoam liner looked okay too...

Based off of my in-depth tests Id say you were good to go...results may vary based on your own experience...;):D

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Check with Arai. They must have specs. A drop from X height will generate Y force. Ask if it's within their spec.

My extremely unscientific opinion is that a drop results in such a small % of the force the helmet is designed to withstand, it is still perfect.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm sure it is fine. If you we're to crash I would hope the helmet would last past the initial impact. Think about it, you could hit you head multiple times during a single "event" much harder than dropping it 4ft to the ground. If it had a bowling ball in it when you dropped it, then maybe the lining took a hit, empty I doubt it.

Just don't crash now.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Use it!!!

I'm a total skeptic when it comes many of the guidelines given by helmet manufacturers....I tend to believe that they are the very MINIMUM limits a lid can be expected to conform to.....eg. the 5-year replacement advice...yes, maybe if you commute on your bike every day and ride year-round, otherwise no.

But as to your particular issue, yes I would continue to use it...the outer shell of your lid is designed to withstand some pretty impressive impacts, if there are no obvious signs of damage then it should be fine.
More importantly, the foam liner of your helmet is designed to provide additional impact protection from external forces, but mainly it is there to "slow down" your head inside the helmet itself in the case of an impact...no head inside the lid, no damage to the foam.

IMO.

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
Any MSF instructor will tell you that if you drop a helmet from any height, you must treat it like nuclear waste, suit up in HazMat gear, handle it with stainless steel tongs while picking it up and placing it in a hermetically sealed container to be buried 1,000 feet below the earth in an abandoned salt mine and back-filled with concrete.

Or, you can just keep wearing it and know that if a helmet breaks from a short drop, then it was not going to be of much use to you in the first place.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Oh...I just wanted to add...my wife did have a new helmet before I conducted my experiment on her old one...:D

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
If the shell didn't deform/crack/de-laminate, the EPS won't be affected at all because there was nothing in it ( like a head ) to cause it to compress/deform.

Unless you need an excuse to buy a new helmet, it's fine.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts