Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

201 - 220 of 256 Posts

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Vacuum may not work...I just put a six inch piece of steel rod about the same diameter down a liter bottle. Neither of my house vacuums would grab the rod. I fired up the compressor and used my vacuum bleeder and inserted the hose into the bottle...i could not grab the rod. There isnt enough surface area to suck on.....

How boring is my life.....

I’m only jealous I don’t have a metal rod to try myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
701 Posts
Vacuum may not work...I just put a six inch piece of steel rod about the same diameter down a liter bottle. Neither of my house vacuums would grab the rod. I fired up the compressor and used my vacuum bleeder and inserted the hose into the bottle...i could not grab the rod. There isnt enough surface area to suck on.....

Did you shoot any video for educational purposes, or at least our amusement?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
701 Posts
Do you think the vaccum trick will work to get the other half of my intake valves out through the spark plug hole? Judging by the condition of the plug, I'm afraid they've been up to no good in there.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Do you think the vaccum trick will work to get the other half of my intake valves out through the spark plug hole? Judging by the condition of the plug, I'm afraid they've been up to no good in there.

You need to borrow that endoscope.

·
Registered
701 Posts
You need to borrow that endoscope.

Probably not. I've got a pretty good idea of what's in there.

·
Administrator
11,233 Posts
That your Bonnie Mike? You're the highest mileage rider around here I think, at least on the Bonnie ... did you finally find the usable-lifespan of the bike?

·
Registered
701 Posts
That your Bonnie Mike? You're the highest mileage rider around here I think, at least on the Bonnie ... did you finally find the usable-lifespan of the bike?
The usable life span of this engine, anyway. It still runs on one cylinder though. It's rather noisy, as you can probably imagine. Plans are to scrape up some money, buy a used engine, and keep riding it. SWMBO says a new motorcycle is at least 3 years in the future, but has approved fixing this one.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Dropping back in here and wondering if he ever tried the hemostat...…...for some reason, I think that's the only viable option. Might be a good idea to put some thin rubber hose over each "finger" of it for a better grip, but that does go contrary to my earlier post about introducing more objects into the engine.
Just wondering: Jim

·
Registered
701 Posts
Sorry for the thread hijack, Zix. Any luck? The whole world is watching you!

·
Registered
240 Posts

I may be overthinking this, but the vacuum idea relies on a pressure differential between "outside" and the junction between tube and object. When you're doing this in a bottle, the overall pressure in the bottle will drop (depending on the size of the tube and the size of the bottle neck) so there won't be as much differential between the pressure around the joint and the pressure within the joint.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Dropping back in here and wondering if he ever tried the hemostat...…...for some reason, I think that's the only viable option. Might be a good idea to put some thin rubber hose over each "finger" of it for a better grip, but that does go contrary to my earlier post about introducing more objects into the engine.
Just wondering: Jim
I think the rod's new location excludes the use of haemostats (or Spencer-Wells arterial forceps as they're known on this side of the Atlantic). Curved ones might have done the job where it first was.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
Sorry for the thread hijack, Zix. Any luck? The whole world is watching you!

I think I'm going to try something else tomorrow. A combination of a lot of the ideas thus far...

Essentially, drain the oil, remove the sight glass, shimmy the rod over to the side closest to me using some wire, then use two pairs of pliers to slowly raise the rod out of the filler hole using the hole where the sight glass was before. I'll let you guys know if it goes well tomorrow. Ideally, I won't have to drop the sump!

This is the last ditch effort here.

201 - 220 of 256 Posts