Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

181 - 200 of 256 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts
He's in the midst of heavy contract negotiations with HBO to make a six part mini series. They need something big after this seasons finale to G.o.T. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was thinking of suggesting pulling out the drain bolt and replacing it with a plug that had a fitting for an air line, then plug the breather. Crank up the compressor and blow rod right back out the filler hole.

On a more serious note, an air brake bleeder on a compressor might general enough suction to pull it out.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
I was thinking of suggesting pulling out the drain bolt and replacing it with a plug that had a fitting for an air line, then plug the breather. Crank up the compressor and blow rod right back out the filler hole.

On a more serious note, an air brake bleeder on a compressor might general enough suction to pull it out.

Suction hose idea is the front runner at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Suction hose idea is the front runner at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the suction hose is a good idea, I'm just thinking of ideas of how to generate enough yet still have a small flexible line that will get in there.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
If I can pull a woman gold bracelet from a sink drain with an ordinary household vacuum with NO attachments...it should pick up an aluminum rod with ease....Your all over thinking the crap out of this

·
Registered
909 Posts
If I can pull a woman gold bracelet from a sink drain with an ordinary household vacuum with NO attachments...it should pick up an aluminum rod with ease....Your all over thinking the crap out of this
Agreed. But it’s got to get in through a pretty small hole. There are many factors to think through. Size of the opening, shape and weight of the part, internal obstacles, visibility, dexterity of the user. No point ignoring any of those.

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts
Ah...Yes, so many gentle considerations at that last moment -

Agreed. But it’s got to get in through a pretty small hole. There are many factors to think through. Size of the opening, shape and weight of the part, internal obstacles, visibility, dexterity of the user. No point ignoring any of those.

·
Super Moderator
1,624 Posts
The OP'r could just do as a HD guy I worked with did. His metal dip stick on the oil fill plug broke off and fell in the gear box. He just rode it and the gear box chewed it up. He says it shifts way better now than it did before.

While I do not recommend this - I thought it was pretty funny and kind of sums up a HD motorcycle... CLUNK / CUR CHINK.....

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Vacuum may not work...I just put a six inch piece of steel rod about the same diameter down a liter bottle. Neither of my house vacuums would grab the rod. I fired up the compressor and used my vacuum bleeder and inserted the hose into the bottle...i could not grab the rod. There isnt enough surface area to suck on.....

How boring is my life.....

·
Registered
132 Posts
Vacuum may not work...I just put a six inch piece of steel rod about the same diameter down a liter bottle. Neither of my house vacuums would grab the rod. I fired up the compressor and used my vacuum bleeder and inserted the hose into the bottle...i could not grab the rod. There isnt enough surface area to suck on.....

How boring is my life.....
This is all theory of course, it's great you actually built and tested something, but I think the best option would be a hose that is just large enough to fit over the rod. You could use some sloppy duct tape to go from shop vac nozzle to the narrower diameter tube. You would want to wiggle the tube and let it snake down over the rod until the rod is pretty well contained within the hose. I'm not sure Zix has enough visibility and maneuverability to make this happen. If you had all the time and patience in the world you could even play around with tubing that is thin walled such that you leave the vacuum off until the tube is over the rod, then turn on the vacuum so that the tube sucks down around the rod.....

Good luck Zix!

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
So size is important ........... now :)

181 - 200 of 256 Posts