Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy has an 05 speedy and we had changed the right coil and opon further examination their is only 1. 44 volts from the igintion wires so is the igintion bad ?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Alright heres the whole story my buddy calls me this morning 150 miles away from home and tells me his 05 speedmaster is only running on one cylinder I ask him to feel both pipes the right one was cold , the first thing that comes to mind is bad coil I tell him to hang tight Im on my way , I grab a coil and get to where he is at BTW is on the side of the interstate , I get the coil changed fired the bike up and both cylinders are firing HURAH I follow him back home and we get maybe a mile down the interstae and it dose it again right one is dead again luckily I have a multimeter with me checked the coil ohms out fine checked the wire fine as well I even ohmed out the old coil its fine then I turn the key on to check the wires going to the coil and Im reading 1.44 volts so it must be the ignitor ?

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I am looking at the schematic. It could be a switch, like the sidestand switch. I would test around for a bad switch before I sprung for an ignitor

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well after I went and got a trailer and got his bike back home . I checked all switches , sidestand , clutch and battery voltage everything is alright. Im going to wait till tomarrow to pull cover and check ignitor

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was the ignitor after wait 3 $%^&^%%$ weeks from Bike Bandit . The bike fired up and ran on both cylinders . Shouldve ordered it from the dealer but like always he was trying to save a few dollars

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
did you have to buy a new ignitor? I surely hope not. If mine went out I would raise holy hell until Triumph gave me one. At 500+ (what are they, 700?) I would be a royal pain in Triumph's ass until they forked one over.
Yep .He had to buy a new Ignitor he called and called Triumph with no clear responce from them .They also told him that most of the custom bike builders also use that same ignitor and with all the problems that come from using it Triumph hasnt found a solution to the premature failures , but at $ 635.00 why would they . He couldnt stand to have his bike down so he called Bike Bandit and got one .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts