Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some recommendations on chain lubricant for my Tiger 800 XRt. Kicking-off the riding season after long winter break. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
You are going to get a good number of recommendations no doubt so let me be first in line.

I use either PJ1 Blue Label or Black Label depending on my mood... :nod

Bob

·
Registered
214 Posts
Scottoiler systems and products are popular. PJ1 I have, but have not used it yet. I'm going to switch over to the PJ1 aerosol.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Scotoiler definitely. I've used it on my last 3 chain driven bikes (just using cheap old oil from Wal Mart-you can't get the proper oil here) My old 955 Tiger got 36000 miles out of the original chain, and the second chain was still going strong at 62500 miles when I sold it. It covers the back wheel in oily clag, but since I never wash the bike it didn't bother me.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Any oil/lube is better than nothing at all.
Scottoiler. Pricey but pays for itself with longer chain life and sprockets.
FWIW in default of the Scottoiler I use Maxima Chain Wax.
But then I am one of the OLD SKOOL foundation members. :) and have been described many times as a GOBB bloke.

If you do a search there are a few threads on this subject and you will see there is no one answer.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have good luck with Silkolene Chain Lube. Not sure how long it will make a chain last as I have never wore one out, though the most I have put on one is 36K miles. I normally trade the bike before a new chain is needed.

I never clean the chain. I ride the bike and when I get home and the chain is still warm I spray the chain on the sides where the Orings are. Put it on the center stand or jack it up and spin the tire. Spray one side for one revolution of the chain, same of the other side. I then let it sit overnight and in the morning take a shop towel and wipe off the excess. I do that every 300 - 500 miles. Works for me.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've used many chain lubes over the years and I found Honda Pro with graphite the absolute best. Doesn't leave a sticky goo on the chain but just a nice slick graphite coating.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Give this video a watch. I've been using Maxima chain wax for years, and carry a small can of Dupont chain wax when traveling. After watching this video, I tried some on hand 75w-140 gear oil for 500 miles. Chain stayed clean/lubed, but the gear oil made a mess of my rear wheel. Went back to Maxima..

·
Registered
97 Posts
Give this video a watch. I've been using Maxima chain wax for years, and carry a small can of Dupont chain wax when traveling. After watching this video, I tried some on hand 75w-140 gear oil for 500 miles. Chain stayed clean/lubed, but the gear oil made a mess of my rear wheel. Went back to Maxima..
Great video. I love FortNine

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hate anything sticky. I wrench on bikes for a living, and nothing is worse to deal with than the nastiness of sticky chain lube. You touch it, it's everywhere. Yeah, it sticks to your chain, but then so does every piece of grit on the road. And cleaning it off is a nightmare.

Personally I like dry or wax type lubes. Yamalube Off Road is a dryish graphite waxy type stuff, I use it the most cause I get it for free. My other choice is the Teflon wax lube type stuff. With either one of these you can clean your chain with a dry rag. That's important to me when out on the road a 1000 miles from my garage. A chain covered in grit doesn't do anybody any good.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
355 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnPYdcbcAe0&t=7s
Ditto and ditto. Have tried everything out there, but settled on Maxima wax. Then saw this vid a while back and tried gear oil. Same experience. Yes, lubed. But so is my tire and anything around that the gear oil flung onto. So back to Maxima myself...

·
Registered
108 Posts
My personal choice is Honda Pro Lube with white graphite. Doesn't cake but leaves a slick graphite residue. Not much flies off the chain either.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My vote's for Motul, seems to stay on the chain not all over the rest of the bike.......I'm getting 25K+ out of a chain. That's my experience, but as has been said any lube will do!

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Dupont Chain Saver is working great for me!

Also, it solved a padlock problem.
I use to use a light oil but it would attract dust and grit and sometimes the key wouldn't even turn.
I cleaned 'em out with Penray brake cleaner, then compressed air, let dry, then a good dose of Dupont Chain Saver and now it's 'click, snap, open' and it works every time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts