Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends:

I have a 2006 Bonneville with around 350 miles. Wife got it for me for Christmas as a surprise! Life is good. Wife is great! It's a long story: had a BSA in the 60's, always wanted a Triumph, brother-in-law wrecked BSA right after I returned from Vietnam, etc., etc.

I need help on how to adjust the chain.

On the centerstand, I rotate the real wheel where there is the LEAST amount of slack. Then I measure it. BUT DO I PULL DOWN ON THE CHAIN FOR THE FIRST READING OR JUST TAKE IT HANGING WITHOUT PRESSURE? Obviously I need to push up on the chain to take the second reading. But should I press down first?

Thanks for your assistance.

George in Eastern Oregon

·
Registered
679 Posts
George, You're a lucky man.
On the centre stand find the tightest spot, then put it on the side stand.
Lift up but don't push down should be 25 to 35 mm 1" to 1 1/2"

·
Registered
287 Posts
I put the bike on the centre stand,move the chain up and down with light pressure,holding a ruler behind.I do this in a number of places,to find the tightest spot.Adjust when at 35mm

Am I doing this wrong?
What are the consequences?

:-g

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
With 350 miles, are you sure the bike needs anything, or are you obsessing already?
anyhow, good luck with your ride,and as suggested read the manual. It answers most questions, then when you get on the forum (for some tough luv) you can ask a really good question.. and get the tough luv thrown in for free!
Regards,
G

·
Registered
913 Posts
Obviously I need to push up on the chain to take the second reading. But should I press down first?
Yes. From the shop manual:

Always check/adjust the drive chain freeplay at the point where the chain has the least slack.
Position the motorcycle on the side stand and measure the chain's vertical movement, mid-way between sprockets.
If correct, the vertical movement of the drivetrain midway between sprockets should be: 25-35mm Bonneville/T100
Congrats on the bike and hat's off to your wife! :chug:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts