Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Hi kngkong,

Mine came already drilled so they were carefully installed to make sure they lined up with the holes in the case. I can't see any reason why you couldn't drill them after installation, in fact it would make your life a lot easier.

Webby

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi kngkong,

Mine came already drilled so they were carefully installed to make sure they lined up with the holes in the case. I can't see any reason why you couldn't drill them after installation, in fact it would make your life a lot easier.

Webby
Thanks Webby.

Thought about it for a while and became a little worried about starting the hole while drilling into at an angle through the case's oil way if I drilled it after installing. Decided to drill it before and then clean up the passageway later, improving the angle after installing it. Seemed to work out ok. These Kibblewhite bushes dont have oil holes drilled or the little channels which are on the inside of the older bushes. Havent decided if its worth cutting that channel into it yet.

Just waiting (trying to find) for my one crank bearing to take the later crank with larger end and I can start putting this thing together.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
I guess your crank must be metric?
The timing side (if metric) should be just under 30mm, if it's pre metric it's about 28mm, mine has an 'M' stamped on the timing side web to let you know. If you can't find a bearing (I used the original) it is possible to machine down the crank journal to the smaller size. I don't remember my old or new bushings having any channels.

Webby

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The timing side (if metric) should be just under 30mm, if it's pre metric it's about 28mm, mine has an 'M' stamped on the timing side web to let you know. If you can't find a bearing (I used the original) it is possible to machine down the crank journal to the smaller size. I don't remember my old or new bushings having any channels.

Webby
Yah.
Ill wait a little longer for the bearing before I decide to machine it down. I think they're just hard to find, and pricey.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Webby
Hi Webby,

After talking to a friend he thought the channels were from someone pulling out the cams without removing the keyways. Something odd like that. He agreed, no channels.

Anyway, still no luck finding the bearing. Will probably give it another week or so and then look into machining the crank, as I have pretty much everything painted and polished and ready to assemble. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Hi kngkong,

I've had a look on the web and TMS in the UK have the bearing in stock. Details below.
60.4167, MAIN BEARING TIMING SIDE BALL RACE 1972 ONWARDS, £12.10
Have a look at www.tms-motorcycles.co.uk
I've bought stuff from them in the past and they're very good to deal with. The only thing might be that the shipping will cost more than the bearing!

Webby

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi kngkong,

I've had a look on the web and TMS in the UK have the bearing in stock. Details below.
60.4167, MAIN BEARING TIMING SIDE BALL RACE 1972 ONWARDS, £12.10
Have a look at www.tms-motorcycles.co.uk
I've bought stuff from them in the past and they're very good to deal with. The only thing might be that the shipping will cost more than the bearing!

Webby
Hey Webby,

Wow, thanks for the link. Will check them out if my parts guy here has no good news this week.

Cheers!
Kng

1 - 8 of 8 Posts