Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just fitted some new Renthal Ultra Low Street Bars and noticed a small peg on the inside of the starter button assembly that must have located in the hole I discovered in the old bars. Do I need to drill a hole in my new bars or Can I just cut the peg off? What does it do?

·
Registered
14 Posts
The peg is supposed to locate in a drilled into the handlebar - it stops the switchgear (together with the levers) from rotating around the bars during use. However, switchgear will normally grip the bars strong enough, without the need for the locating pegs.
You can either measure carefully and drill the location holes, or grind the pegs off and do without them. But, a word of warning if you do remove the locating pegs the switchgear may not grip strong enough and could be loose on the bars. The choice is yours.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
The peg is supposed to locate in a drilled into the handlebar - it stops the switchgear (together with the levers) from rotating around the bars during use.
Nope. At least on 1050s the pegs are only on plastic switchgear. Lever, mirror and throttle clamps do not have locating pegs of any kind.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Don't drill. It will end up in the wrong place. I had the same issue when I put some Harris clip ons on the 96. I chose not to drill and just ground off the locating peg. It moves a little bit when I heave on the choke, but that is it. It should hold no bother on the starter side. You probably won't need the tape either.

·
Registered
366 Posts
If you want to drill the bars, just stick some masking tape on the bar where the switchgear will sit. Tighten up the switchgear slightly in the correct position and then remove. There will now be an indent in the tape. Mark the centre with a centre punch and drill correct size hole. Fit switchgear safe in the knowledge it won't slip.

·
Super Moderator
21,187 Posts
I have replacement (Rizoma) bars on all three bikes - I removed the dimple on the switch assemblies.
Out of the 6, only one moves slightly when tightened all way down - simple to wrap a couple of layers of electrical tape around the bar and that takes up the slack - completely inconspicuous of course because its contained inside the switchgear envelope. Probably just a slightly different diameter on the bar at that point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts