Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'll cut to it. My bike cranks, has load and compression, has spark (With new spark plugs). Fuel is getting into the bike, no rats nest in the airbox. It seems everything is there for her to turn over, but she won't. I'm at a loss for where to turn next, and am hopeful someone here can help me out.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Can you bump start her?

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Running out the door right now, but be sure to keep the battery charged while you mess with it!

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats fine! I appreciate it!

One thing I will say is I loaded a tune onto the bike awhile back. It ran on the tune, but it has sat all winter. I haven't started it this season.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Did you put Seafoam or Sta-bil in the gas before you stored it? Have you tried turning the keyswitch on and off five or six times to make sure there's fuel in the lines?

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you put Seafoam or Sta-bil in the gas before you stored it? Have you tried turning the keyswitch on and off five or six times to make sure there's fuel in the lines?

Cheers,
-Kit
When i looked into the cylinders I saw fuel in them. As for seafoam, I doubt I did.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Try a quick blast of brake cleaner ACROSS the air intake. See if she'll fire up and cut out / idle . It will do one or the other. If she starts and idles great if not and cuts out. . There's gonna be another reason. If you've tried all above and sure all is well, look at immobiliser (if fitted)

As for the map . If she running on the map may be running to rich / to lean and not a correct ratio to fire. Speaking from experience on another it was running to rich and after long standing everything were dry. Too much fuel getting through and kept flooding

Just a thought .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It cranks but wont turn over? I
Didnt know that was possible.
Not sure if you're serious? The starter turns the starter clutch but the bike won't turn over.

Try a quick blast of brake cleaner ACROSS the air intake. See if she'll fire up and cut out / idle . It will do one or the other. If she starts and idles great if not and cuts out. . There's gonna be another reason. If you've tried all above and sure all is well, look at immobiliser (if fitted)

As for the map . If she running on the map may be running to rich / to lean and not a correct ratio to fire. Speaking from experience on another it was running to rich and after long standing everything were dry. Too much fuel getting through and kept flooding

Just a thought .
Immobilizer? Where's that at?

As for the MAP ill reflash it in a few hours and run some brake cleaner, see if she'll go.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
If the starter turns the starter clutch, but the starter clutch doesn't turn the crank... Well, that's engine out and split the cases to replace the starter clutch.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If the starter turns the starter clutch, but the starter clutch doesn't turn the crank... Well, that's engine out and split the cases to replace the starter clutch.

Cheers,
-Kit
No it DOES crank, I am good on that part.

·
Registered
175 Posts
It cranks but wont turn over? I
Didnt know that was possible.
Not sure if you're serious? The starter turns the starter clutch but the bike won't turn over.
Sorry but you're still not making it clear. No need to get over complicated.The way your explaining it i would assume your sprag has went out.

What you might mean is that the bike WILL turn over but will not start.

Youll be checking very different things depending on whether the engine is turning over....or not turning over. ( crank and turn over mean the same exact thing.)

·
Registered
175 Posts

Cheers,
-Kit
No it DOES crank, I am good on that part.
Well then, with a proper explaination you can get a proper diagnosis.
If you have accurately checked that yoi have good compression, spark, fuel, and proper air flow could have something to do with the sensor that senses when the bike is in neutral.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thought i would throw this in there since i have seen on this forum a few times the person had the kill switch engaged.
AH okay.

Right well the bike turns over but doesn't start. Perhaps that's a better way to say it, I've always said crank to mean turning.

Kill switch is on start, bike is in neutral and coils/starter work. With sidestand up and clutch in the bike turns but won't turn over.

So how do I bypass the sidestand switch and the neutral light, since those appear to be the next culprits.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Immobiliser, maybe you have alarm system?

Honestly try the brake cleaner thing. I had old gsxr 400 I were restoring that I spent hours building and wouldn't start ... brake cleaner short blast across air intake and bingo! Fired right up and idled.

Just another thought are the valve clearance within spec ?

If the clutch or Sidestrand switch were at fault it wouldn't turn over at all. Know this from mine. As soon as you hit the stater button nothing. Clutch in stand off then She'll turn over. So doubt it's either of them. Just my opinion

Just ideas thrown out there to assist. Sometimes over thinking things make miss simple fixes.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Shiroun said:
the bike turns but won't turn over.
This is infuriatingly nonsensical. It is self-contradictory. Can't help you if we don't speak the same language.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
415 Posts
Dump that tank of old fuel and fill her up with fresh stuff.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
+1 on UlsterSpud's post. Old fuel, especially if it is alcohol-tainted, can cause all sorts of problems.

Dump the old stuff, change the fuel filter, and try again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts