Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put the Stabil in the tank and filled with gas. I turned off the fuel valve and ran the carbs dry. Is this good or bad? I have the bike on a lift to keep the tires from flat spotting. Since the bike is in a heated garage I didn't put any oil in the cylinders. I have heard mixed opinions on draining the carbs.

·
Registered
386 Posts
When I drained the carbs to do the jets, it did not seem like the petcock shut the fuel all the way off. Fuel kept dribbling out very slowly the whole time I had the float bowls off.
On the 1969 Daytona, I leave the bottom plugs out, pull the fuel line off and plug it, even though the petcocks don't leak.

There is nothing worse than gas running into the float bowls and evaporating, in a while, there is nothing but gas concentrate which is real nasty!

Brett

·
Registered
666 Posts
Chazzman,

You did it right, only other thing you may need to consider is the battery. One of the battery tender type chargers wil keep it fresh for that next nice day.

Hopefull you will get to ride enough the rest of winter that it will not matter, not too cold yet, least not here in SC.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Somewhere I read that running the bike dry won't really get all the gas out of the bottom of the bowls. I have a 2-foot length of fuel line (I think it's 3/16") that fits on the nipple at the bottom of the float bowl. That and a clean tin can will make sure that the bowl is completely empty. Stabil instructs you to run the engine for a couple of minutes to make sure the stuff gets through the carbs. Then I drain them.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Badrufus is correct, draining the bowl's will not remove all the fuel from the bowl. Remove the bowl's from your carbs and you'll find a small puddle of fuel there...dry them out and replace the bowls.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts