Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I'm in the process of doing my first oil change since buying this bike and I have a problem. I need a drain plug seal which has been surprisingly difficult to find. The 2 Triumph dealers within 100 miles of me both say that my bike (1994 Sprint 900 S) has a 14 mm plug and a spin on oil filter according to their fiche. Well, my ruler tells me that the present seal has a 27 mm outside diameter and a 23 mm inside diameter (sorry, no calipers handy) and the filter bolts on with a cap... just like it shows in my maintenance manual. Anyone know if this was a one year thing? Does anyone know a dealer near me who knows what he is talikng about (Welland, Ontario, Canada)? Any help would be appreciated as the two dealers I spoke to (Inglis Cycle and Sturgess Cycle) were pretty useless.

While perusing threads for this problem I noted one from 2005 that said that annealing the old washer (with a propane torch) allowed it to be re-used. The info I found online states that heating copper (it looks like a copper seal) until it glows and letting it cool slowly will return its malleable properties. Anyone have experience with this?

·
Registered
988 Posts
I have annealed copper seals on bikes and airplanes for 40 years. However, you need to heat it red hot and drop it red hot into water.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Geolpilot,

I'm on my way to the basement (unfinished - no nearby flamables) with my torch and a bucket of water. If that doesn't make it glow, I have a couple of buddies with welding equipment that should do the job...being careful not to turn the seal into a molten pool of copper, of course.:)

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Annealing copper requires heating the metal to cherry red, then cooling it. Unlike some other metals, the speed with which the copper cools is unimportant. (I was always a drop-it-in-the-water guy myself, but research has shown me that it doesn't matter.) (Also, the crush washer in question can be re-used several times without annealing. Not necessarily recommended, but it'll work.)

As far as the dealers go, tell them to look at the right fiche. Might help to tell them your bike has carbs. Also, I have never heard of a Sprint 900 S; AFAIK, it's just a Sprint 900 unless it's a '98 Sport or Executive.

BTW, here are part numbers:

3550001-T0301 > 32089, M22

T1210495 32090 >, M14

Edit: M22 & M14 copper crush washers should be available from just about any auto parts store if your dealer still can't find 'em. They're going to cost about a dollar wherever you get 'em.

Cheers, HTH,
-Kit

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the info Kit. As a matter of fact, shortly after annealing the washer (yes it was glowing a nice bright cherry red before being dunked) I dropped by one of our chain of well known Canadian automotive, TIRE, hardware, etc. stores and in the "oil change" section they had 1, count them, 1 X 22mm copper crush washer. Now all I need is the missing steel washer that goes at one end of the filter. My book shows one at each end of the filter but there was only one on mine (possibly lost by a previous owner?) That one they didn't have. The "S" for my Sprint is on the side cover. It's the only place it appears, but since I was having so much difficulty getting the dealers to understand the situation, I thought I'd throw it in. Didn't help a bit! Of course, one of these dealers is a longtime Harley dealer and the other is a Kawasaki and Suzuki dealer. Triumphs are just a (small) sideline for them - at least that's the impression I got.
Oh well, at least I'm still moving forward.

Oh yes, the washer was $2.30. Remeber, I'm in Canada. That $.19 currency difference always seems to double our prices. Strange isn't it?

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Huh. Never heard of a Sprint 900 S before, but there it is on the side covers. I guess it was a '94 thing, between the '93 Trident Sprint (which had "Trident 900" on the side covers) & the '95 models that had the new-style bodywork with oval taillight & no printing. You learn something new every day!

IIRC, my Trident only had the one washer on the oil filter. Of course, for all I know the other washer could be what made it seize... :p

BTW, one thing I really like about copper crush washers is that they can be annealed & reused repeatedly, essentially for the life of the bike. Aluminum is much harder to deal with. Never try to cool aluminum via quenching in water, as it has a tendency to basically explode.

That pricing differential is ludicrous! Nothing I can do about it, but I feel some outrage for you.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
181 Posts
When I changed the oil on my S3 both washers were missing. I went to Advance Auto and found some copper washers that fit perfectly.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I get 14mm washers from Napa. Drain your oil, and take the plug to the parts store to make sure. I've reused washers for many changes using the annealing process.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts