Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've had an interesting week. Yesterday when I got up to go to work I went out to the bike started it up and began to smell gasoline. I wasn't sure where it was from and backed out noticing a trail of drips from where I started the bike. I put her on the side stand and noticed an ever-widening puddle underneath the bike. Without time to investigate I had to cheat on the bike and took the truck.

Later, when I got home from work I began my investigation. Try as I might I could not reproduce the puddles nor could I get any kind of a leak. But, I did notice that one of the hoses (Drain or Breather) was very damp at the end. Nothing I did could make the gas come out. With a wild hair I capped them. I plugged the hoses. Wow, the bike seems to have a much crisper response. I rode the bike today to work and back. It was great and the fuel smell was gone.

My question is, with these hoses blocked am I setting myself up for an explosion? I have been fighting this fuel smell off and on for 1.5 years. Replaced the fittings with the stainless steel ones from Team Triumph. Now I capped those hoses.....whaddaya know no smell!! I am happy, but am I a happy idiot?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Too dark and too little time to check the location of leak at the time. However, I didn't change anything and tried to reproduce the leak later...nothing. Tank was half empty. The tubes were the only parts that had fuel on them at all. And, yes the leak was fuel. I closed off the tubes to check and see if that was where the fuel odor emanated from. When I restarted, with the tubes closed off, the throttle was crisper and the smell had disappeared. Very weird. When I blocked the hoses I used golf tees so it is not the tightest seal in the world, but they are closed off for now. I am just not sure what happened. I have had fueling problems before. Replaced all of the hoses. Replaced the fittings, per above. Yet, the fuel odor was persistent, but not omnipresent. Most days no smell then others it was overwhelming.....very weird. Then the leak earlier this week. I dunno. I appreciate your response. If you come up with anything else I am in desperate need to understand this better.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Neither of those hoses should be capped. Assuming the setup is the same as my 07, One is a water drain and the other is the fuel vent line. Blocking the fuel vent line can create negative pressure in your tank and make your engine run like [email protected] That line should have a check valve in it and it should be sitting vertically to work properly. Do you hear a whoosh when you open your fuel cap like it is sucking air?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haven't opened it since capping them. But, I didn't hear that before. Tried to notice riding home today...the throttle seems crisp, no weird responses, and no fuel odor. Next week I'm gonna pull the hoses again, pull the tank, and see what is going on. The last time, when I capped them, I couldn't find any thing that seemed out of order. All of the hoses were tight, none of them seemed kinked up, none of them seem to be leaking...... If it hadn't puddled so badly and if those two (drain & vent) hoses hadn't so often seemed to be smelling heavily of fuel I wouldn't have experimented with capping them..... I dunno. I understand that they wouldn't be there if they weren't important, but I figured I'd take a shot and see what happens. So far, the bike seems to be quite normal, yet the throttle does seem a bit crisper....or maybe I am just paying more attention. Geez, I'm driving myself kinda nuts with this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts