Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am new to the site and to the motorcycle world and I came across a 01 TT600. This one in particular was laid down due to a close call and as a result broke the stator cover, some scraps on the fairing and a left broken rear tail. The seller stated that he noticed oil leaking once he got back to the bike and turned off the engine immediately to avoid further damage. My question to all of you is...is it worth getting a new stator cover, gasket and rear tail to get this bike back on the road? And if so what would you pay for it in this condition.
Thanks everyone for helping out a new guy.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
This thread will be moved to the Supersports forum where the TT600's dwell. The stator cover is the first thing to go on a left side drop, and they are easy to crack or bust a hole in. You can sometimes find them used, but check bikebandit.com for a new one, as they are not too expensive.

If the bike is in good condition besides some busted fairings, possibly bent rear subframe (where the seat and tail fairings attach), and a cracked stator cover, I'd say getting the parts needed is well worth it depending on price. The price is going to depend on many other things, like mileage, maintenance, and the general condition of the motorcycle. Well kept TT600's have been known to run into the 80,000 mile rang before needing major engine work, but that depends on how well the bike has been maintained.

If the motorcycle fell onto the right side also and ran for even a few seconds, there could be oil in the airbox and cylinders. This is caused by the breather sucking oil up into the intake, and it requires a good cleanout of the cylinders, intake, and airbox, along with a new air filter usually. If it was just a left side drop, it is probably okay. Check the oil pressure sensor on the lower right (the bubble in the fairing), as it is very easy to damage.

To give you an idea on what I've been seeing TT600's go for: a well maintained bike under 10K that has not been wrecked looks to be bringing approx. $3,500-$4,000 where I am. I bought my first one in great shape with 7K miles on it for $2,800 a few years ago. My second was a wrecked one I picked up for $600. It took a used engine and a lot of work, but the final price was still under $3,000.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the insightful post. i am sure it will help not only me but many others in a similar situation. the bike is an 01' and has 80km or 49 miles. it needs a stator cover, a chain & sprokets & a speedo sensor along with the broken rear fairing i mentioned above. Considering that its hard to get these parts as i have been looking around I'm unsure as to what to do going forward with the purchase. The seller has had the bike since 2003.

·
Super Moderator
8,943 Posts
Less than 50 miles! Wow! The guy didn't get much more than home with the bike. How much is the seller asking? It sure is worth a bit of money and effort to get the bike back on the road. It's only 50 miles into a 100K lifespan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The asking price of it is 1500 CAD or 1300 USD.
Im not sure if it would be worth it at this price since it would be a tedious task to find the parts first. The bike was also downed on the right side but not in this particular incident and it was saftied earlier this year before his unfortunate mishap. luckily he was ok and just with a few bruises and scraps

·
Super Moderator
8,943 Posts
Where is the bike located? It wouldn't cost a whole lot to make the bike serviceable from the sounds of it.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
Less than 50 miles for a TT600 that doesn't sound like it has many issues is a great deal that doesn't come along that often. Does it look like it only has 50 miles, as the owner could have replaced the instrument panel with a new one, thus zeroing out the odometer. If it is 50, and has been dropped twice, the previous rider is probably better off not riding!:D

The money you'll spend in parts to repair it is still going to put you way under what a non-wrecked TT600 with less than 50 miles is worth.

·
Super Moderator
22,199 Posts
...the bike is an 01' and has 80km or 49 miles .... it needs a stator cover, a chain & sprokets & a speedo sensor ....
OK - more to the story than immediately apparent:

If it needs new chain & sprockets, it has OBVIOUSLY done way more than 50 miles (is there a digit missing here as you're reading/reporting it?)
Which may be related to the speedo sensor - just how long has that been broken? :p

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
Which may be related to the speedo sensor - just how long has that been broken? :p
20,000 miles?:D

i figured the sensor, chain, and sprockets were somehow damaged in the wreck. The mystery continues...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Im the new owner of this bike :)

DEcosse - The chain and sprocket were not effected by the crash, they are just past their prime and need changing.

BombFactory - The bike fell on the left side and is not hydro locked

After 2 cans of degreaser and a long afternoon the bike was cleaned and overall is in very good condition. The stator cover was cracked in the bottom enough to cause a leak. I did find a hidden* crashed TT with a good stator cover so its on order.

The side fenders are in moderate condition. Moderate meaning that they need couple small cracks fixed and repainted. One of my roommates does car body repair work for a living so I got some free labor (although i may need to buy a case of beer?). The bike needs a new left rear fender though, the current one cannot be fixed. The front cowel needs some heavy fixing on the underside, by my roommate says it can be done.

Over all, the frame is fine, forks arnt bent and dont seem to be leaking. Small surface rust (1-3mm in dia) on the upper portion but some is to be expected with a 8 year old bike. The rear swing arm is in good condition and i received a free rear shock & coilover with the bike so i cant complain :D

I do plan on completely rebuilding the engine this coming winter. Im thinking all new gaskets, cams, o-rings and anything else that seems in need of replacement. If the wear and tare is too great, i will do an engine swap.

I will post pictures as the restoration takes place so stay tuned :)

*A lady friend of mine works at a salvage garage and convinced the owner to do a thorough search of the yard. End result… two TT600s appeared that the owner forgot about. He is holding both for me. Both were in front collisions but the engines/rear are in good condition.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey congrats man..i was thinking of picking up the bike but didnt pull the trigger due to me having trouble finding parts. we all sure would love to see the progress of the bike...cheers :D

·
Super Moderator
8,943 Posts
Well done. It's a project well worth the effort. If you post pictures as you rebuild things, we'll all love you. :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.