Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - it's finally warming up enough here in the frigid Northeast to think about wrenching on my Thrux. My plan is to do all the suspension and controls work this year, and start thinking about more speed next year.

To that end, I've already bought the following:

- Traxxion damper rods/Race Tech emulators
- Traxxion linear rate springs
- Bitubo WMT piggyback shocks
- Superbrace fork brace (gaiter mounts)
- Preload adjuster knobs
- Tommaselli adjustable clip-ons

Here's what I think I need to finish the job, but would definitely appreciate feedback from those that have done this before:

- Copper washers for damper rod bolts (2) - BikeBandit.com
- Silkolene 20WT fork oil (2 liters, just to be safe) - BikeBandit.com
- OEM dust seals (2) - Do I really need these at $15/each? Bike only has 2,000 miles...
- Low-stiction fork oil seals - BellaCorse.com
- Euro Gaiters - BellaCorse.com
- Gran Turismo grips - NewThruxton.com
- 7/8" Bar End Mirrors - I'm going to try the CRG knock-offs on eBay, will report back how they work
- Rizoma wide/side outflow brake reservoir - PJsParts.com

Since I'll have everything ripped apart, I'm trying to combine as many jobs as possible to minimize downtime. Besides, there's nothing I hate more than tearing into a project and realizing I'm missing that $0.10 part and can't proceed. :) The only thing I'm on the fence on are the dust seals that cover the fork seals...can I reuse the existing seals, or should I just suck it up and pay the extra $30?

If there's anything you see that I've forgotten (besides antiseize - got that), please let me know?

Thanks!

Jason

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Silkolene 20WT fork oil
There is no way that Traxxon D recomended 20 fork oil.
Use the weight they recomend. Probably 5W/7.5W
You only need 1 liter.

Nice project have fun

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks MES...I could've sworn they said 20wt although I wonder if I'm losing it now - the directions they sent me say 15wt. I'm using 90kg linear rate springs with their damper rod kit.

I might ping Dan on Monday and see if I can confirm before I start ordering stuff...this is a street-only bike, so would like some compliance on New York's frost-heaved roads. :)

Thanks...

Jason

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I might ping Dan on Monday and see if I can confirm before I start ordering stuff.
yeah, do that. I could have remembered wrong. I pretty sure that both the people I know that have Traxxon were told to use 5 weight.

Either way, just use the weight they recomend.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Talked to Dan, and he conferred with their lead tech - they've used everything between 10-20wt to get the proper rebound dampening. For street use on our crap roads, he recommended I run 10wt and go heavier if it rebounds too quickly.

I'll keep you all posted....MES, thanks for the feedback and sanity-checking my list!

Thanks...

Jason

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I'm on the heavier side (95 kgs) and was recommended to use 15 wt. SF roads are bad. Am happy with the result.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks Matt - I'm a bit lighter (about 16kg less), so maybe that's why the call for 10wt?

We'll see how it goes...worse comes to worse, I can change it out for 15wt. :)

Jason

1 - 9 of 9 Posts