Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK riding into work Monday morning, 3.30am left home damp but about 2 degrees C, get onto the usual back roads and lanes doing about 40MPH and bike gets sort of light and skittish, put warning foot down to feel the surface EEK sliding on ice, right hand bend just in front over a river bridge and large metal catch fence both sides, ease on back and front brake and back starts to come round and front washes out slightly left, off brakes look up and am about 20 feet from the bridge, decide to do the right thing full front brake and down she goes on the right hand side, push clear and slide "gracefully to a stop about three feet from the metal bridge railings, damage to bike, scuffs on rh silencer, bar end, forks twisted in yokes, snapped brake lever, damage to me, bruised hip, calf and ankle, ATGATT!!!, was also wearing lots of layers due to the cold, lesson learned, always use a winter hack, cost to repair the old honda, £6.50 set of levers, saving from not using Daytona, about £2000, even picked the old girl up and continued into work, great bikes 250 Hondas.

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
Glad you're generally OK DD, pretty brave going out in conditions like that.

Interested though in why you thought applying full-brake and deliberately going down ? Did you think you had no other option but colliding with the bridge ?

---------------
Ride on ! :)

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
Was anybody behind you? Probably not, at 3:30AM. I hope all that winter insulation made good padding.

Frozen peas make good ice packs for bruises... Hope you're OK.

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
DD, glad to hear you're a ok and also glad you were on the beater. Sounds like you did what needed to be done. Get on the ground and slow down quick. That's hard for some to imagine but in certain cases it's all you can do. Watch your six mate!;)

Cheers
Jeff:motorbike2:

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
......... Get on the ground and slow down quick. That's hard for some to imagine but in certain cases it's all you can do. ...........

....are you insinuating I have no imagination Jeff ?

.......I'm just exploring other options !

.....such as staying in bed on days like that ! :D

---------------

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I would imagine sliding up the road on your @rse is preferable to going off the bridge and into the river :D

Was a witness to a bike / car crash Wednesday evening, fortunately the guy wasnt injured but his bike will most likely be a write off. Frightening how quickly your day can be spoiled.

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
TB no, no, no direct inference to you at all. It was nothing but a generalized statement.:eek: I've been there a time or two on dry tracks as well as wet ones. Believe me when I say it's a heck of allot easier to slow down on your rear than on the bike.:D

Cheers
Jeff:motorbike2:

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
Glad to hear you are okay doodle. Sounds like you had more excitement than you needed.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad you're generally OK DD, pretty brave going out in conditions like that.

Interested though in why you thought applying full-brake and deliberately going down ? Did you think you had no other option but colliding with the bridge ?

---------------
Yes down or through the bridge rails, the road sort of swaps sides of the river so goes 90 degrees right then 90 left, so the bridge railings are directly in front of you if you dont make the turn, did not fancy hitting a three foot high metal fence and going over the top into a six foot deep river at that time or any other time of day,LOL, I looked at the fall area today on my way home, really deep gouges in the road and stopped literally a couple of feet from the bridge fence, it amazed me how your brain sorts out the options in such a short time and lets you make a decision, I never thought laying the bike down would be so simple self preservation takes over, thank you all for your concern but I am fine now apart from still being a bit stiff/sore.

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
Congratulations on getting away with it so lightly :) I must say you're braver than me, taking the back roads in those conditions - I'd have stuck to the main roads or maybe even taken the car!

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Surviving an off makes for an interesting story to tell grandkids...someday...and fellow RATs...now. Glad you're OK.

·
Premium Member
7,365 Posts
Glad you`re Ok, Doodle, It`s been 10 years since i rode in the UK, in January. Not sure I`m up to it anymore, especially at 3.30am in the morning!

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Glad you're okay Doodle.
Quite the story.
3:30 AM finds me wending my way to the loo, for the obligatory old guy pee. :eek: Can't imagine getting on the bike in the dark and freeze.
All the best to ye.

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
Dood,
Glad your OK, the river was probably real cold. 3:30 am on icy roads? Perhaps a therapist is in your future, or at least a cage

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK an explanation, why does a "sane" guy ride a bike to work in winter at 3 am, well I am a truck driver as you know, go out from base monday get home friday, I live in an isolated part of the UK so its difficult to find good main roads where I am, especially to get to rural Cambridgeshire where the truck is based (25 miles each way), if my first delivery is Glasgow which it quite often is, I have to be in the truck at 2am for a 10am delivery, I will not leave home and sleep in my truck on Sunday, we have a cage but wife uses it dailey for her work so I can not justify me doing 25 miles monday and it then sitting till friday then her riding her Bergman all week, in summer we both use bikes, so getting a car as a second vehicle with all the costs of tax insurance maintanence etc really does not make sense, the Honda cost £260 and is reliable sitting all week in sub zero temps and starting no fuss friday, equivelent reliable car £? tax for Honda £33 car £150? fuel for Honda £12 per month car £40 insurance Honda £50 per year, Car £250 per year, in summer it would not be used at all as the cage we already have only moves when it pulls the caravan to race meetings, where the Honda just gets covered in pres and sits at the back of the barn from march to november depreciation zero, to me this makes sense and if you wear the right gear you should be OK, you sort of expect the odd spill riding all winter and it really keeps your riding sharp, course if the weather is really severe I would get her in doors up to drive me in or just not go but thats very rare, hope this explains why I do it.:)

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
That's understandable DD, you certainly earn your crust but don't push the conditions and elements too much. I remember riding as a kid in Cumbria in the winter and don't know how I survived, but then I didn't think anything of it, bad winters were normal !

Now it's a few years since I have actually seen ice or snow, don't think I could handle it anymore !

-----------------

1 - 20 of 23 Posts