Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I called them this afternoon and said I just bought a used daytona and didn't know much about the bike and wanted to know if they could hook it up to their computer to see if there was any kind of tune already on the bike, or just want was going on. I already have a pretty advanced odb2 reader that gives me a lot of information, but not triumph specific and I can't change any values.

They told me, the service manager Chris, "SUre, c'mon up". SO I rode almost an hour up there from Stamford, and he seemed nice enough, but was like O.k I have to put you in the computer and start a work order. RIght away I started to think something was up..while on the phone he told me it was no problem and no fee...Now a work order. Sure enough The owner comes out and tells me how busy they are and how long it's going to take and I should leave it over night and they will get to it and I say NO WAY, this bike does not leave my site, then he starts quoting OSHA rules to me. He had to go, all old school used car sales man on me. I just wanted a base line reading. As mentioned I have ODB2 readers, I have Volkswagen specific programs, and Mercedes Benz specific programs, and they all have a general scan functions. I personally have no experience with the Triumph software, don't know what it's called, but knowing what I know about computer controlled cars, I would say I was lied to. I will gladly retract my statements if I am proven wrong so anyone knowledgeable, please chime in. Still looking for the software, if anyone can point me in the right directions that would be great.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sounds like you didn't have fun! I didn't bother dealing with any stealerships when I lived in New England, but I've heard there's one dealership in Ct. with a good reputation. One of the big cities, don't remember which one.

If you don't mind the 12 hour drive hahahaha D and D in Norfolk, VA has been my favorite by far. Brian is a really awesome guy and does his best to put himself out of business by cutting everyone breaks on service.......

The shop here in Alabama is too relaxed for my comfort. They are only open 4 days a week, and they work like a McDonalds. A gear guy, a parts guy, a sales guy, a service guy. Seems to commercialized for being a shop that is only open 60 percent of the time. I won't mention their name.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I did some poking around and for the sagem ecu, the device to have seems to be the tuneboy. I downloaded a tune and the program, but you need the cable. Just like volkswagon, the cable is the dongle. Anyway, even with that program you have a way to hook up the computer to the bike, and see what map is in the ecu already, and that frankly is all I wanted.

I don't get it. I guess people hear what they want to hear and decide, "I'm going to work this guy over and dip into his wallet." I mean, if it was a miscommunication on the shop's part, they should have at-least honored what was said to me over the phone. They lost me as a customer, and if I can prevent a couple more from going....my work here is done! I'm going to check out Libby's Motorsport in New Haven. I hope they don't piss me off.

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
and if I can prevent a couple more from going....my work here is done! I'm going to check out Libby's Motorsport in New Haven. I hope they don't piss me off.

What a terrible attitude, glad you're not my customer.

May as well skip Libby's and try Gengras. Or better yet GreatBay up in NH, or Powersports in Mass.

Have fun.

Andrew

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's terrible Andy, not enjoying being Lied to? You have a Shop? THen tell me, How long does it take to hook a bike up to a computer and do a baseline reading, or just tell if there is an aftermarket tune on a bike? 15 minutes? 30? I was told by Libby's it takes 45 minutes. Sounds Fair enough to me.

If you own a shop, and your service manager tells a customer "we can help you", and the customer says, "I'm on my way, it will take me an hour to get there." And then after an hour of driving, you say, "gee sorry we can't help you"...Do you call that good customer service??? Would you have turned me away, telling me how it will take the whole day to hook the bike up to computers,or would you have honored what your employee said???

I work on Volkswagon Audi, Mercedes Benz computers and It doesn't take an hour. I know when I am being LIED to. I know this from being ripped off by a Shady General Contractor to the tune of 50 G's, I know this from a shady mechanic who I caught in the act of damaging my car to pad out his repair bill. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Guess what, I've been fooled twice. There will not be a third. I would feel very sorry for that person. I am dealing with junkyard guys, car parts recyclers, auto body clowns all the time. Not to mention roofers who don't roof and are surprised when I walk the roof to inspect their work. Kinda like the time when these guys were supposed to put a ridge vent in my house and they kinda didn't. Kinda like the Mercedes Garage that told me My transmission was shot and it would cost me $5k to fix. Except I bought my own cable and software, reset the computer and, gee like magic it worked...go figure.

I will have fun Andy..

and I too am glad I am not your customer. If some one is honest they have nothing to fear.

·
Registered
152 Posts
John,

It took me three or four go's reading your post, but i think i know where some of the confusion here is coming from.

You havent actually told us how long the shop manager said it would take, only that he wanted you to leave the bike over night.

Having to leave the bike overnight is no big deal, even for a 15 minutes job, especially if the guy is going to do the job for free as he will have to do his paying customer first.

Did the shop manager say how much he was going to charge for the work?

James.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Last one on the subject.

Shop manager says it will take 15 20 minutes to hook my bike up to the Triumph computer. I ask how much and he said not much, a couple dollars but didn't give me an exact number.

Owner says it will take one of his techs most of the day, 5 or 6 hours. I say even for a baseline read? just to see if there is already a tune? There are wolf trident pipes on the bike so I think you need an advanced tune to run properly.

Moral of the story, one guy says one thing, another guy has a completely different version. Is it a lie? Maybe. I guess if I wanted to go through every menu and adjust every setting it could take hours.

I really wanted to know where the bike is at right now, tune-wise. As mentioned, I do readings on Volkswagen and Mercedes Benz. In-fact I cleared the codes on the Triumph with the Volks code reader.

In my experience, when I go to an establishment and one person tells one version of what to expect and another person in the same establishment tells you a completely different version of events = SOMETHING DOES NOT LINE UP, SOME ONE DOES NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.

If I am a bad person because of my reaction to this experience, then so be it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought my Speedmaster there a few months back and got a good vibe from the place. I actually bought the bike from the owner you refer to and he treated me like a gentleman.

I'd go there again. In fact I plan on taking my bike there for it's next service when it's time.

You overreacted IMHO.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I may have over-reacted. But it doesn't take 6 hours to hook a motorcycle up to a computer to see if it has an aftermarket tune on it or not. It take 45 minutes. That is my problem. I was told one thing, and they did another. They did not honor what was said. Of course they are going to treat you well, you just dropped 10 or 12 grand on a motorcycle.

·
Super Moderator
3,017 Posts
I may have over-reacted. But it doesn't take 6 hours to hook a motorcycle up to a computer to see if it has an aftermarket tune on it or not. It take 45 minutes. That is my problem. I was told one thing, and they did another. They did not honor what was said. Of course they are going to treat you well, you just dropped 10 or 12 grand on a motorcycle.
I just had a new tune dropped in my T595 at Gengras in East Hartford. They did it while I waited and it cost me a 1/2 hour's labor. I was in and out in 40 minutes with writing up the work order and paying.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sounds like you had the total opposite of my experience with them. Just got back from there couple of hours ago. I called and talked to the same gentleman, he told me to stop by for the tune. When my wife and I got there, he gave us a tour of the place and was very helpful. In fact all of them were super friendly, had great time talking about bikes with service guys and a customer. I will go back there in the next couple of days for 6k service and anytime I need parts or service.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Should of read my post http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/70625-brought-my-bike-in-for-the-6-000-mile-service.html

I live in stamford? I have the tuneboy cable for my bike Sprint St 955i 2003 and tuneboy but the tuneboy program is bike specific so I don't think I can get a reading from your bike but if you have something that could interface with your bike you could give it a try. I will never go to branchville even if someone here chimes and tells me that Oh those mechanics are not there any more its different now. The owner is the problem nothing but a used car salesman.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts