Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't dropped a bike for years but this weekend I dropped my lovely Sprint in all places a garage forecourt (gas station) while wheeling my bike away from the pump. All rather embarassing.

It was my fault I broke the golden rule "don't wheel your bike with side stand down" it dug into a little rise and tipped away from me.

But the good thing was I had the panniers on and they saved the day (and my fairing). Otherwise it could have been an expensive little moment of inattention. The only damage to the panniers is a few scratches on one corner and the infill panel has some scores in it. Also those little tabs on the lower supports on both sides were bent but I straightened them by hand.

So a valuble lesson learnt without too big a bill.

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
..... a timely reminder Dave - as your riding season gets underway.

I havent dropped mine (yet) but have come close to overbalancing a couple of times when wheeling it around in my garage.Generally in a hurry and not thinking it through.
Once I just about tripped myself up on the sidestand and another time I was moving it backwards and was closer to the car than I thought - my backside bumped into the car and I thought for a moment we were going over:confused:

It would break my heart to see her lying on the ground.

Grant:cool:

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Ouch! Sorry about your drop, Dave.

I almost had it happen to me one morning when I thought the side stand was up. As I rolled over the drop at the joint between the garage floor and driveway, the stand contacted the ground. That will wake you up in a hurry!

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
Sorry to hear Dave but at least it is a cheap fix.

Sorry to say I paddle around when sitting on the bike. I may look like a dill (or is that a duck) but I know that I can't drop it like that. :)

·
Registered
857 Posts
Sorry to hear Dave but at least it is a cheap fix.

Sorry to say I paddle around when sitting on the bike. I may look like a dill (or is that a duck) but I know that I can't drop it like that. :)
I wish my legs were long enough to do that.....I'm more in danger of falling over trying to paddle it, so I always get off and push - much to the merriment of my longer legged riding buddies, who rib me endlessly about getting a Goldwing or a Ural side-car outfit

·
Registered
121 Posts
Same song for me - in the driveway. No bags though, $US2k in damage. Fairing, trims, mirror, lever and "stuff"

OUCH.

Glad yours worked out ok!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
..... a timely reminder Dave - as your riding season gets underway.

It would break my heart to see her lying on the ground.

Grant:cool:
From experience, yes, it was heartbreaking...

Had new tires put on last Nov on a Saturday. Not ridden again until late Mon afternoon as I get loaded up and ready to leave for work. Start the bike, do a quick walk-around then get on and flip the kickstand up and put it in gear and start easing off. Stop. Something is bugging me. Put the bike in neutral, both feet back on the ground and sit there for a moment with the bike idling. After a bit it comes to me...I haven't checked the tire pressure since I got back from the shop Sat and I meant to experiment with the pressures since I had read a short novel :rolleyes:on the forum over the weekend called " hoops, hides, skins or just plain tires ".

Lean over and look at the front tire ( like that's going to tell me anything ) straighten back up and start to get off the bike...

Forgotten all about the kickstand being up and suddenly remember it as my unconscious starts shouting to my conscious (Hey! Dumb*ss! ) just as the Sprint goes past the point-of-no-return...and down we go...

Damage: Well, pride...yeah. Scrape at the forward edge of the alternator hole in the fairing, broke the rear mounting 'tit' on the chrome swish, scraped and scratched the forward colored panel on the bags and bent in the front mounting locating tab on the same bag. The mirror just folded up and no damage there.

The lucky part of it was on a new, smooth, polished part of my concrete drive that is eventually going to be where the garage is to be built.

The unlucky part was that I was loaded down for a two-week stay at work and had a full tank of gas and couldn't quite lift it up by myself and my neighbors were all at work so had to wait about 45 min till my wife got in to pick it up.

Pete C

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
I did the opposite once, not on my Sprint but on my Gixxer.

After filling up at a servo, I pulled up next to the 12 or so other riders I was riding with (a club ride).

And went to swing my leg over getting off, thinking my side stand was securely down taking the bikes weight.

But it wasn't locked and folded up and I tipped over into my mates VTR with my bike against me pinning me off balance while the VTR was on the point of balance of doing the same into the next bike.

A couple of big guys (I am fairly solid and hefty) saw this and one grabbed my arm another my bike and yanked me back up but I still busted my mates fairing where I fell against it!:eek:

Sorry about your accident Dave but you aren't the first and won't be the last.

Cheers,
DaveM:)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Always gets me how when I take it to a mechanic then wheel it around like its a push bike, I go to push it around and its a ton of bricks waiting to obey the laws of gravity and plummet to the ground (not happened yet, touch wood). It's bad enough taking it off the center stand.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Ztolley, know what you mean.
I was at the local Triumph/BMW dealer the other day. lots of inventory and every morning they wheel most of em outside and at the end of the day pack em all back in. I'm gingerly wheeling my around a few feet in my garage, and here's one worker wheeling all kinds of heavier bikes around like toys, guess it's experience and balance. Just like picking a bike up from a spill, with the right technique you can pick up most any bike, I'm a small dude and have picked up my loaded 670+ lb Yamaha FJR a couple of times from spills with no problem. Squat with yer back to the bike, lift mostly using your legs/thighs backing into the bike (the small of your back should rest against the bike at the seat or center bike location) and use the arms mostly just for balance and support, kinda using your lower body as leverage to lever the bike up rather than say trying to lift if from a forward position with your arms.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts