Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just be good at dodging deer. Found this...

According to an article called "Blowing the Whistle on Deer Scare Devices" in the Mid-February 1993 Farm Journal, the Ohio State Police installed deer whistles on their patrol vehicles; however, they reported finding no significant decrease in collisions between patrol cars and deer. The same article indicated that a panel of the World Society for the Protection of Animals could find no data proving "that such a device can actually stop an animal crossing the road, which is the main purpose of the device." Finally, Washington State University researcher Leonard Askham felt the evidence tended to favor a conclusion that deer whistles do not work. "Even if the devices were effective," Askham warned, "they would soon become clogged with insects and dirt and stop working."

The New York Times NATIONAL described a different, creative way to use sound to frighten deer and other animals off the road and out of the path of oncoming vehicles. The article explained:

Before he discovered deer whistles, a supervisor for an Arkansas utility came up with his own plan to scare deer off dark country roads. He taped the barking of his neighbors' dogs, rigged an amplified speaker to the front of his truck and then broadcast the tape as he cruised down highways.

But he abandoned the scheme, amid concern that the barking was not only scaring deer, but awakening residents of southern Arkansas. :) full article http://www.usroads.com/journals/rmj/9705/rm970503.htm

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
I wonder if they could adapt the ultrasonic anti-barking devices into something to repel deer? It would have to be powered, but it would be well worth it!

And what they say about kids being able to hear those devices is true; both of mine say they can hear the things go off when the dogs bark.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Just be good at dodging deer. Found this...SNIP
The New York Times NATIONAL described a different, creative way to use sound to frighten deer and other animals off the road and out of the path of oncoming vehicles. The article explained:

Before he discovered deer whistles, a supervisor for an Arkansas utility came up with his own plan to scare deer off dark country roads. He taped the barking of his neighbors' dogs, rigged an amplified speaker to the front of his truck and then broadcast the tape as he cruised down highways.

But he abandoned the scheme, amid concern that the barking was not only scaring deer, but awakening residents of southern Arkansas. :) full article http://www.usroads.com/journals/rmj/9705/rm970503.htm
:laughhard:

·
Registered
10,248 Posts
What about gremlin bells?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Riding across country I found that my Tiger's sound terrifies pronghorn antelopes. They'll perk up, look my direction, then scatter. Usually away from the road and hundreds of yards before I arrive where they were! I have experienced this in AZ, NM, WY, and MT. The Tiger sound has no effect on deer, I have had to dodge more than one, and missed one by about two feet at 75mph in Oregon. The Datsun PU right behind me in the other lane killed it and trashed the truck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Scaring them isn't the problem. When they run out in the road generally they are already scared, and I guess their instinct is to run in a random pattern to escape whatever predator is after them. The issue is to get them to run away from you instead of across the road, but that is going to be difficult due to fences, drainage ditches etc.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Dear ones

If I were going to start a business, I'd open a body shop or a radiator shop in Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota or any state up thataway.
I lived there for a while and narrowly missed several deer but never connected with one thank goodness.
Most all of the barflies up there drive old caddies, lincoln Mk 5's, old buicks or any older heavy car. Reason being is they spend a lot of time in the colder months in a bar, after work, get looped and try and drive home in the wee hours. Just when the deer are active. If you look around up there, most of the old cars like that have one or more crunched in fenders, radiators or a punched in front end.
In Michigan, I've seen herds of 100-200 deer in the fields grazing, during rut, you may have as many as ten or fifteen jump in front of you at any time.
Fortunately, Wisconsin has a law that allows you to take home any deer you kill on the road, all you need to do is take it to a nearby ranger station and they will write you a tag for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts