Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Having sorted most (but not all) of the running difficulties with my T-Bird, the next step is to convert it to be able to ride 2-up as my girlfriend and I often spin about the country as the weather here picks up a bit.
There was a single seat conversion on the bike when I bought it. It consists of a single piece which comprises of both mudguard and seat and is secured by two bolts, one on either side of the rear subframe. The front has a tab that slides underneath the petrol tank.

Seats are available to buy, both on eBay and from aftermarket suppliers, for a reasonable cost so but I have been unsuccessfully trying to locate a secondhand rear fender. Has anyone tried with a fender from another bike? Is there any brand that might slot in without too many modifications or am I better waiting and hoping one comes up for sale? They are about £250 new which is far too rich for me at the moment.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mark

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Mark,
Fitting an OEM one would be much easier and is what IO would recommend unless you enjoy a challenge.

They seem to come up quite often on ebay - there are a couple on Us ebay right now (shipping may not be too bad as it tends to be cheaper going from here to there). Otherwise I have often seen them on ebay UK - one from a Tbird, Legend or TBS will all fit. You might even find somebody here has one they might sell cheap to a fellow rider as quite a few of us have taken them off (sorry I sold mine already).

·
Read Only
296 Posts
Hi Mark,

Just a suggestion, why bother with a rear fender. A stock seat (especially a flatter T-Bird one) looks quite cool without the fender. Aftermarket rear lights by motrax or oxford are quite easy to fit if you can make up a bracket. If positioned right, the number plate will catch a lot of road crud keeping your pillions back dry and clean.

This is what I've been aiming for with mine, I don't think I'm quite there yet as other things keep getting in the way.

And yes I know it's dirty, I'm going for the rat bike look :D

Wayne

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That looks pretty good alright bigred. Hadn't thought of that option before. I missed out on a seat on ebay.co.uk today but I'll definitely bear that idea in mind.

I was out for a spin with IrlMike yesterday and following a few sharp turns to the right on badly surfaced roads, the underside of my exhaust scraped off the road. The bike's rear suspension (as explained to me by Mike) is set-up really low and I think the seat/fender will have to wait for a while until I get a Kawasaki shock.
Once i get that sorted I'll look into seat/fenders options again.
Thanks for the replies.

Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts