Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Having 4 days off work, allowed me to finnaly get my hands dirty and fix up some of the damage that I have done to the bike.

The procedure was simple:
Remove fairing
Clean area
Send down the damage (120g and then 400g paper)
Mask off the bike (taking the damaged part would make things easier and result better, but I was not in a mood for darining oil :) )
Paint a couple of layers
Send paint back until big scratches are filled with paint to level of body work (1200g paper dry)
Paint 3-4 layers of paint and let it dry over night.

You are done. Of cause if you are after a more mirror glossy result you will need to wet send wiht somethiong like 2000 grind paper and then cut and polish the part. but I like my matt finish :)

Before:
beforefull_sml.jpg
before closeup_cml.jpg

After:
afterfull_cml.jpg
after closeup_sml.jpg

Hope this give people some push to this kind of repairs on their own.

Let me know if you need more detailed information.

Oh and I did prep the fairing damage for priming and painting as well... but I might wait on that and see If it is worth repainting both sides at ones.

Cheers,
GK

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
Looks really good TP :)

·
Super Moderator
22,107 Posts
.....Mask off the bike (taking the damaged part would make things easier and result better, but I was not in a mood for darining oil :) )...
You can remove that cover without having to drain oil - there might be 1/2 cup at most comes out of there as you remove the stator cover, but that's all.
I did similar repair on my cover after it fell over on the driveway while I was putting on my gear! :mad:
I actually used a little body filler on the deep gouges and sanded before painting. Anyone would be hard pressed to tell that it had been re-worked.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I am with DECosse on pulling the cover off but for a different reason.

The stator windings are mounted on the cover and can become misaligned and rub on the rotor after a drop on the left side. A Triumph dealer wanted to charge a friend $2500 to repair his rotor and stator after a similar fall on his 07 Sprint. My friend did 3,000km of riding after it was dropped before this issue presented itself and left him stranded. It is much cheaper to fix before the rotor and stator are both trashed.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am with DECosse on pulling the cover off but for a different reason.

The stator windings are mounted on the cover and can become misaligned and rub on the rotor after a drop on the left side. A Triumph dealer wanted to charge a friend $2500 to repair his rotor and stator after a similar fall on his 07 Sprint. My friend did 3,000km of riding after it was dropped before this issue presented itself and left him stranded. It is much cheaper to fix before the rotor and stator are both trashed.
What would i be looking for when i take the cover off to make sure there is no damage? I have never seen this engine's insides so would not know if something is wrong or not :(

Thanks,
GK

1 - 7 of 7 Posts