Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped my bike off-road by myself deep in the back country. I had to hike up a mountain to call for help. The area was sandy and it was my fault. The road was a mess from the rain. I tried to turn around on a tight trail going down hill. I laid the bike gently in the sand on a slope and could not pick it back up. No damage other then my pride. A helicopter found me and landed. They were Leary to bring the truck down the sandy hill. I had to guide the chopper to me as they could not see me. The pilot is a good guy. He helped me pick the bike up and pull it out of the sand. He was far better at this dirt sh*t then me. Anyway it was an adventure. The bike has earned its title.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
I still don't get the 500+ lb. "Adventure" bike concept. Next time I need to travel from Paris to Dakar, I'll pick one up but, until then, a midsized Enduro bike with some added (but removable) storage capacity makes the most sense to me for weekend off road activities.

For longer excursions, an Adventure bike may be practical, but for those trips, I would refer back to the title of your thread.

Glad the helicopter happened by to help and you didn't get a $60k bill for the service. Not sure where you are located, but in this area, helicopter rescue is monstrously expensive.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
23 Posts
that's the reason i sold my 95 steamer (the first one). i kept getting farther and farther out on rock embedded "roads", and realized how fooked i would be when it dumped. the second one never saw those kind of conditions.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
@Hetzeus

You're fortunate that your leg wasn't pinned under the bike.
That would have been tragic sure enough.

It happened to me.
I ended up face down on my belly and the 500 lb bike pinning my left leg with no way to get it off of me by myself.
The bike was laying down on a steep slope towards me which made it even more difficult to move.
Fortunately, my brother was with me and was able to get the bike up enough for me to slide out.
Together, we were able to get the bike upright.
The fact that I had made and installed a front tip-over guard kept me from having an injured leg.
Following the incident, I built and installed a rear guard and with that addition I feel confident that a leg won't get pinned should a lay down ever happen again.

·
Registered
150 Posts
yeah - lucky you found help - I think we all have gone on a ride and a some point realized we might have gotten in a bit over our head... glad it worked out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Glad all was good in the end for you. The thought of a situation like you experienced is reason many others don't do the adventure route.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts