Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Does anyone here on the forum have experience with both exhausts? Is there a significant difference in performance or aesthetic?

Thanks.
In "sport" form, Dominators are identical to Predators. They were both designed by the same guy.

"Touring" or "High-Torque" Dominators are a little different. They aren't quite as loud, and they produce about an extra ft-lb of torque (at the cost of about 1 hp at the top). And if you get them, you can tell everyone you are as cool as me. ;)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool. I will probably be switching from my Norman Hyde peashooters to the Dominators. Just have to decide if I want "high-torque" or "sport". I love the sound of the Hydes, my favorite of all the slip-ons, but some lady was nice enough to knock over my bike in the parking lot, denting my right-side silencer. I figure I might use this as an opportunity to try a different silencer.

I'm hoping what I lose in sound from the NH I will make up in performance from the Dominators.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
For whatever it's worth, I don't think you'll be losing anything in sound, at least not if you go with the sport version of the Dominators. I've got Predators on my Bonnie and think they're the best-sounding silencers available. The sport Dominators should sound identical.

--mark

·
Registered
616 Posts
Cool. I will probably be switching from my Norman Hyde peashooters to the Dominators. Just have to decide if I want "high-torque" or "sport". I love the sound of the Hydes, my favorite of all the slip-ons, but some lady was nice enough to knock over my bike in the parking lot, denting my right-side silencer. I figure I might use this as an opportunity to try a different silencer.

I'm hoping what I lose in sound from the NH I will make up in performance from the Dominators.
I doubt you'd be disappointed by the sound of either the High-Torque or the Sport. The High-Tourque are much louder than stock or TORS. They have a very pleasing low growl that sounds just like 1965 to my ears. The sports have more of an aggressive bark. They both sound great, frankly.

The fit and finish is top-notch. And Carlos is great to deal with.

·
30,527 Posts
This is all true.

They sound absolutely marvellous - the sound matches the bikes style I think.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a black 2009 Bonnie, and am thinking of British Customs black ceramic header pipes and black Dominator Touring or black Predators. (notice a colour theme? ;o)

Anyway, I'm wondering what the difference would be in replacing the airbox vs. leaving it as nature - or Triumph - intended. I'm just naturally conservative and want to keep the bike as stock as I can with better performance and more pleasing sound. Any ideas?

Nigel Nicholson
Havre de Grace, MD

·
Registered
603 Posts
FWIW, my Dominator Sports did not come with the sidestand rubber bumper. They had the slot for the bumper, but I had to use the bumper from the stock exhaust. I got mine last year, so it may be something they used to include. No biggie as it was easy to take out of the stock ones and pop into the Doms

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
I've been trying to decide on new exhaust. Only research I've been able to do is youtube videos. Its' really hard to tell the true loudness of them all. I want sound but don't want it too loud. Maybe something between TORs and Predators . So are the Dominator Touring what I'm after?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Harlan,
I didn't realize it was that hard to tell the volume until I put my Predators on. They are loud. I was afraid too loud at first, but now I am used to them and love them. The tone is terrific. The bike just sounds mean now. No other way to describe it. Mean! I can see how some might not love the volume though.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Thanks channelinspire. Being out in BFE I have no other way to hear what they sound like other than youtube. With all the different cams and video quality it's hard to get a good read on the volume of the pipes. Sometimes the TORs sound quiet and sometimes they sound just right. The Predators in the videos either sound just right or maybe too loud.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts