Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I "did the ton" for the first time with my Bonne T100 , and it was great! A long stretch of country road through the dairy farms, great visibility and asphalt, and no cops. The only problem, however, is that at about 103 mph the front end vibration coming up through the handlebars caused my left mirror to come loose at the stem, and then the right mirror followed, and they were both drooping down, flapping in the wind together! They stayed on, though, and a bit of finger tightening fixed everything after I pulled off to the side of the road.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Man!!! you're a heck more muy macho than I am...
Congrat's on the milestone and good that you made it in one piece.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
I've had mine up to an indicated 118 a few times, with the 17t sprocket that's about all you can get, it's at redline in 5th, with the 19t sprocket (which I hated) I could get to 120 or better, but lost a lot of acceleration.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
My modified 2006 Thruxton is still accelerating past an indicated 120mph. I have not yet gone faster, but an indicated 130+ should be no problem. The bike will cruise at an indicated 100mph all day long!!! The clip-ons help with regard to wind drag.

Can't be sure how accurate the speedometer is though.

Modifications to date:-

TORS
K&N filters
Airbox Removed
Main Jets up from 110 to 138
Head skimmed (now 10.4 to 1 compression ratio, was 9.2 to 1))
Head gas flowed.
10% stronger clutch springs
1 tooth up on the front sprocket
Small home-made alloy flyscreeen

Rear Wheel BHP: 70.6
Rear wheel torque: 61.3ft/ibs

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've had mine up to 111mph but that doesn't really seem to be the point, I just love cruising at 65 - 75 mph and enjoying the twisty roads we have around here (Scottish Highlands) If I wanted to go really fast I would buy a Daytona but I would scare myself so I'll stick with the Bonnie and enjoy it!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Congrats Scrambled900 .No pictures? :-D

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Very cool.
My buddy got a T100 a couple of months ago. He swore he would never ride it fast, he just wanted to cruise on it.

Yesterday he stopped by and said he had it up to 80 coming up my street, a 35 mph road. lol The bike just WANTS to do the ton. :cool:

Ride safe.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Fastest I have had mine is 118 on the speedometer, that should put us over the Ton even with speedo error....She could go faster, but #1 I'm chicken and #2 at the time her acceleration was really slow at that speed, I was running out of straight highway. Although I would like to open her up with the TT pipes, she wants to run at the top end now! I hit the limiter the other day for the first time, didn't mean too, she just climbed up there in 3rd before I knew it....

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
On 2006-11-18 21:38, Scrambler900 wrote:
the front end vibration coming up through the handlebars ... both drooping down, flapping in the wind together!
Your bike is probably telling you something. Get the wrenches and torque specs and go over the bike.

Are you talking about a buzzy vibration, or something encroaching a minor shake? If worse than a buzzy sensation, what speed did the vibration start, and did it worsen or clear as speed increased?

Whats the condition of the tire, and any vibration at lower speeds? My stock tires began degrading in performance after 8000 miles, and poor at 10,000.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I break the ton every chance I get at least once a week.
I have checked my speedo several times and it is with in
a couple of miles.
115+ mph with more to go is the best so far, then I catch up
with traffic. Some day when I find the right time and place
I will let her go till she hits the limiter.
Bill

·
Registered
154 Posts
Nice one! :upthumb:

Fastest indicated I've had her up to so far is about 90, but as soon as I'm happy the engine is properly run-in (after the second oil change, which I'll do soon), I'll be looking for a quiet bit of motorway to hit the ton. I've done it on other bikes, but to do it on a new Bonnie, the descendant of the bike that more or less led to the invention of the phrase "ton up", will be something special. Glad I've got a windscreen on her, though! First time I went ton-up was on a naked 1980's GSX750 and it was all I could do to hang on. :-o

·
Registered
583 Posts
wow, every once in a while i come back to the bonnie forum to see what the old crowd is up too,sometime's i miss the looks of my old bonny.
but i don't miss the power, or lack there-of, my new score on the triple is 157. and the ton is something i have to try not to do, i remember the freak kit, the jetting the bub pipes, the good tires the clubman bars, and i finally got it to do 100, but like mentioned it starts to shake and rattle at about there, and now i have a stock speed triple, it just puts lot's of bikes to shame, mmmm, but i'll say that one day when i could afford to have a "pretty" bike i would love to find and 07 bonnie black and put it the way i had it.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I've had my 790 a little past 120 on the speedo. I was shifting from 4th to 5th at the rev limit of 8100 rpm. I let off it at that time because I was nearing the top of a hill. I'm sure it would do more in 5th gear, but I haven't had the occasion to do it. 17 tooth sprockets forever. :-D Airbox is removed.

Sweat and SSCTrim,
I'm a little surprised at your posts. I would expect both bikes to run well past 120 speedo indicated mph. Mine dyno's at 67.5 hp which is probably less than your's Sweat, and I know it is a lot less than your's, SSCTrim.

Larry

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I did it today.

You mathmaticians can figure out how fast the bike goes;I have a 17 tooth up front and hit the stock 7400 rev limiter in 5th once.

Andy

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I got some good pics yesterday ,perhaps I will start a thread later today to show youze.
That pic was taken at 6000ft on Mt Laguna in a section where the cedar fire burned through a few years ago.Lots of dead trees.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
By the way, how does one pronounce "ton"? Is it pronounced like "won-ton", or is it pronounced like the unit of measurement (which would make it something like "tun")?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts