Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been gone for a few days, so I rolled out the Bonnie for a ride this afternoon. Fuel on, ignition on, in neutral, no neutral light, no starter motor. Hmmm. Maybe its the battery. Took the seat off and brought out the multi-meter. 13 volts. Took out the battery anyway, put it on a 2 watt charger for about 20 minutes until the charger said it was up to 100%.

Hmmm. Maybe its a blown fuse. Nope, they're all fine. The side stand switch? While I was contemplating that I looked at the kill switch. It was off. Doh! :brick:

Turned it on, turned on the key, lights, ignition, all worked fine. Guess I hurried through the FINE-C checks I learned at the MSF course last year. On a positive note, my preventative check on the fuses found them fine, I charged my battery up, and my check of the kill switch found it worked just fine. :eek:

·
Registered
386 Posts
We all have those kinds of moments

I got all suited up for a ride, turned on the key and pushed the starter. The bike started but didn,t run just right. It eventually died and would not restart. Checked fuses, spark and kill switch to no avail. Went inside, took of my riding gear and moped about the Bonnie being broke. The wife said I was in an evil mood and I was really bummed out. After several hours of brooding, I went out and checked out the bike again and felt like an ID10T. I found the gas petcock turned off.:rolleyes:

I guess being stupid runs in my genes.:wacko:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Wheeew!

Boy I am glad to find out that it is not just me!!! :D Mine are usually the more embarrassing ones with lots of witnesses though. Putting it in gear with the kick stand down at the gas station, forgetting to put it in 1st and trying to take off in 2nd or 3rd from the parking lot at my son's baseball field, forgetting to buckle the straps on my saddle bags before going down the interstate. Stupid stuff that result from brain farts due to a bramaged dain inflicted by wife, kids, and work.

Pops :drool:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Mind '

It has been said that the first thing to go south is a person's short term memory.
Now, I don't know how old you are but I'm 65 going on 66 and I do that kind of stuff all the time!
Actually there is a great song which hits home!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yN-6PbqAPM

You will enjoy this one, it's a wonderful song.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
How do you answer this then?

My friend bought a new EFI Scrambler at the weekend.
The dealer told him that, in cold weather, if he pulls out the choke, it will help start the bike.

True, false or somewhere in between?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hmm

I have an EFI bike and letting out that knobby thingo on the side of the machine helps start my bonnie.

As you can see, I'm not the most mechanical of riders....

·
Registered
510 Posts
I once forgot to turn my petcock from reserve back to on after filling up at the gas station.
I thought I was getting the best damned gas mileage ever...
That is until she started sputtering while in the city, and I attempted to turn the petcock over to reserve, only to find it had already been turned over, and humbly ran out of gas in the middle of an intersection turning left, blocking traffic from the opposite direction before I could pull her to the side of the street. Got a few nice one-fingered gestures and honks - just to be sure I was ok, to say the least -

haven't forgotten since

1 - 9 of 9 Posts