Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife would like us to get a dog but it would have to enjoy a ride out on the bikes with us. Upon doing some research I found this video on you tube and this dog loves a ride on the back of his owners Thruxton. Does anyone here take their dog for a ride? If so what set up would you recommend?

·
Registered
39 Posts
A few months ago, I stopped at a rest stop next to a Harley rider. He was messing about with a square looking tail bag looking thing; finally undoing the top, and out appeared a little dog! It seemed to have adequate ventilation and was secure, but I wouldn't want to have my beloved dog on the back, especially in a tip over. And who knows if they are enjoying the noise and wind back there? Remember a few years ago that we had a jackass politician who drove his car with his dog inside a dog kennel on the top of his car? He said the dog loved it; especially after stopping!

·
Registered
34 Posts
My wife would like us to get a dog but it would have to enjoy a ride out on the bikes with us. Upon doing some research I found this video on you tube and this dog loves a ride on the back of his owners Thruxton. Does anyone here take their dog for a ride? If so what set up would you recommend?
Here are some reviews. From what I’ve seen on a bike, the Kuryakyn Pet Palace seems to be very sturdy, but I’ve never used one myself. My dog is probably too old and easily frightened to enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
Tiger 900 GT Pro Svartpilen 401
1,196 Posts
Lots of dogs like to ride on bikes but they generally need training for it. Here in Australia it's illegal for a dog to ride on the tank but OK when in a proper enclosure on the back. There is only one exception. Tex and Bundy are a man/dog pair who ride for charity fundraising. Tex has unique permission from the state's Minister of Transport to take Bundy on the tank. There have been a few different dogs over many years, all of them Aussie Blue Heeler cattle dogs.

I've been at an event where Tex has been speaking and Bundy lay under the table at my feet. She was very calm and peaceful the whole evening. At outdoor events she will lay on the tank with her eyes closed and people think she's a stuffed toy -- until they touch her and one eye opens. :)

Here's a report about Bundy retiring a few years ago and a new dog taking her place. Lots of info and impressive pics.

In my Indian days there was a guy on the forum who made dog carriers that bolted to a rear rack. I bought other stuff from Marcus and found him good to deal with.

·
Registered
2022 T120
117 Posts
I have a 7lb Yorkie. I would like to take him riding with me but I am more interested in a tank carrier. Anyone have experience with any and what would you recommend.
kk

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
My old male red cattle dog use to ride on the back of my tray back ute and on top of the roof also been on the back seat of the bike a few times, was a very well balanced dog, first time he rode the roof we were driving on Frazier Island 75 mile beach and was wondering why everyone was pointing at us as we drove past till I heard his claws on the fiberglass roof, here is a pic of him on my old 81 Triumph Thunderbird. He is long gone now this was taken around 1986, he was also a champion frisbie catcher do summer sults and catch it mid air, his name was Aussie a true blue Aussie dog.
Wheel Tire Plant Dog Fuel tank

·
Registered
T120V
94 Posts
Those Australian Cattle Dogs sound great!

Unfortunately, OP is in the UK.

We do have a slight alternative over here.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle

Here's Graceson Perry with Measles. Measles has a glass shrine, as you see.

Measles is Perry’s 50-year old teddy bear/muse/alter ego/totem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those Australian Cattle Dogs sound great!

Unfortunately, OP is in the UK.

We do have a slight alternative over here.

View attachment 787488

Here's Graceson Perry with Measles. Measles has a glass shrine, as you see.

Measles is Perry’s 50-year old teddy bear/muse/alter ego/totem.

Oh dear, I hope that's not what the wife has in mind. But I guess it's nothing a few tins of satin black paint couldnt sort out (y)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I used to take my French Bulldog riding with me all the time. I know she loved it because she would do this little “dance” wherever she heard the bike starting and saw me gearing up. Now when she got older she stopped doing that little dance and I stopped taking her but for years she clearly loved it

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I now have 2 female cattle dogs a red and blue cattle dogs but when I fire up the bikes my blue dog attacks the rear muffler, she puts her whole mouth over the end of the muffler till I tell her to get under the house she hates me leaving and when rolling down the side of the house I got to be careful as the red dog will come out of nowhere and nip me on the heel of my boot, in a way she saying please don't go, but when I come home they don't do it at all only when I go out, they are there to look after my place when out, not for going for joy rides, but they are well looked after and they aren't house dogs out side only and only allowed in the kitchen to get their treats, but they are very loyal to me and my family and they know my mates when they pull up out the front.
If I gave the blue dog a chance she would jump on the bike she wants to be with me always.

Ashley

·
Registered
113 Posts
Made a custom box that used marine Velcro to attach to my sissy bar and had a d ring I could attach her harness to. I bought her doggles and a little helmet but she refused to wear them and would rub them off her head as we went down the road. Only downside was all of the cars who would swerve into our lane because the driver was trying to get a better look or take a picture while we were riding together

·
Registered
Tiger 900 GT Pro Svartpilen 401
1,196 Posts
The guy on the bike is Joe. He runs a small motorcycle luggage company in Brisbane (called Bibblebar) and one of his products is this dog box. It's got plexiglass panels here but comes with solid panels as well. I bought saddlebags from him for my Indian Scout and his stuff is good quality.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts