Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2010 T100 warranty ran out in June and when I lost the crank position sensor in Oregon in August -- that meant pulling the stator cover and dumping all my oil --, I decided to switch from 6000 mile synthetic oil changes to about 3000 mile dino oil changes. That was at 47,000+ miles.

After replacing the sensor, I filled up with 20W/50 Spectro -- it's what the shop had on hand --, but there were a lot of miles between us and home. On the way home, and 3500+ miles later (50,590 miles, I changed the oil again and, since I was still on the road and not seeing motorcycle shops, I pulled into an auto parts store and bought a gallon of Shell Rotella T 15W/40 and put that in the engine. I dumped the oil out of the Triumph oil filter and re-fitted the filter.

By the time I got home, I was at 54,106 miles, so a bit over 3500 miles on the RotellaT 15W/40. When I changed the oil, I pulled the Triumph oil filter and replaced it with a new one. By this time, it had over 7000 miles on the filter. I captured a sample of the RotellaT and sent it off to Blackstone Labs for testing. This is the 3rd time they've tested the oil on this bike so they've seen the history.

Here's what Blackstone said about the 3500 miles on the RotellaT:

"CHARELS: Thanks for the notes. The RotellaT 15W/40 did just fine in your engine. Wear metals are nice and low and copper and lead improved once agin. Aluminum is also lower. We can't complain about that. The viscosity was on the mark for 15W/40 and the oil showed no measurable fuel dilution. Low insolubles and silicon show good oil and air filtration. The engine sees a lot of use, and it's handling it very well. Honestly, engines that get used a lot tend to look better than the ones that sit. Keep it up at 54,106 miles."

As far as I am concerned, Triumph's, Filtex filters are great and will easily handle 6 or 7 or more thousand miles. Blackstone mentioned that low silicon shows good oil and air filtration. The trip we were on had more dirt and gravel roads than I like and way more road construction that I like so the filters were working great. When I changed the air filter after returning home, it did have dirt inside, but it looks like it kept it out of the engine.

A gallon of RotellaT 15W/40 at Walmart costs about the same as a quart of Amzoil so even though I have twice as many oil changes, I am now convinced I can get good oil at any truck stop and at about half the price of synthetic for the same miles.

Disclaimer: I'm not an oil expert and on the trip west, we had temperatures above 113°F on Amzoil 20W/50. With the RotellaT 15W/40, I don't think we exceeded 87°F, but they were all two-up and baggage miles.

Flame me now, Chuck

·
Registered
394 Posts
I belong to a Kawasaki KLR650 Yahoo Group and one of the prominent members there uses Shell Rotella because of its availability, cost and lubricating qualities. I don't know which one, but he also has sent samples to a lab for analysis several times to establish intervals. I don't recall any specifics, but the Rotella held up extremely well.

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts
This is going to be interesting...I know several 'old hands' here in the blazing desert who use it and say I'm wasting my money on the expensive synthetics, especially by changing oil every 4K miles.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Over at the V-Strom forum, Shell Rotella T6 synthetic gets a big thumbs up. My 2012 T100 got a Rotella T6 oil change at 500 miles and runs and shifts great. I use it my my V-Strom and my wifes Kawaski ER-6n. About $22.00 per gallon at Wally World.

I'm not going back to amsol.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I've used Rotella T in bikes for years with excellent results. I've also used Blackstone Labs to confirm my choices in oils.

My Bonnie's still on warranty and Triumph wants synthetic, so I've been using Rotella T6 in it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts