Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Switched from the factory goop-based (the official term, I'm sure) chain lube to the new DuPont wax-based formula (not the spray can, the dropper bottle, more on that later) and noticed a funny bent washer on the nut holding the front sprocket in place. Is this normal to keep the nut from rotating, or do I need to run over to my dealer and have them do a quick repair?

Also, I read this thread... http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/156872-easy-chain-maintenance.html before doing the switch to the DuPont teflon chain saver, but this is the first bike I've been in charge of maintenance on and I'm not sure how much is "enough"? Can anyone provide some feedback on when you know your chain is fully lubed and ready to go?

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
You are correct. That is the tab washer that secures the nut. Absolutely normal -- and essential!

Concerning the chain lube, it only needs to be lightly coated -- enough to stop the chain from becoming dry and susceptible to rusting.

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Yeah, it looks weird, but is right.
Great looking photo, though!
-Sparky

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I knew the tab washer was how it's meant to be, but didn't know drive on these bikes were on the right hand side. Live and learn.

·
Premium Member
20,739 Posts
drive on these bikes were on the right hand side. Live and learn.
Fairly rare thing. I only know of the British Hesketh and some Rotax-engined bikes that have that.

It's specially designed to ensure chain lube drips steadily on to your tyre when parked on the sidestand...:D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
To anyone still watching this thread, I have another question... The manual states measuring the "vertical play" of the chain to determine tightness. I originally interpreted that to mean "from resting position to fully pressed upward", but reading some of the chain maintenance threads, it looks like that should really be "from fully pulled down to fully pressed upward", as in the total amount of play in both directions added together.

My question, then, is which is right? Because by my measurements I am out of spec. with just the upward press. If I have to essentially double that (didn't measure it full travel yet), I'm then WAY out of spec. and a little concerned about why, since the bike is only 2500 mi. old (new chain break in maybe?). If I can't find an answer, I'll go bug the dealer after work tomorrow, but figured you guys could help. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
I have interpreted it to mean from the 'full up' position to the 'full down' position; measuring the full movement of the chain.
I got 25,000 miles out of my first and second chains, which is about expected, so I must be doing something right!

I'm sure someone else will pipe in as well.

Regards,
Sparky

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
Full up to fulldown is the way I have always read it and from what I understand you get a higher percentage of chain stretch early on.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Fairly rare thing. I only know of the British Hesketh and some Rotax-engined bikes that have that.

It's specially designed to ensure chain lube drips steadily on to your tyre when parked on the sidestand...:D
:confused: It's a long time ago, but I'm sure that my Jota's chain was on the right hand side.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Full up to fulldown is the way I have always read it and from what I understand you get a higher percentage of chain stretch early on.
Ditto. Full down to full up And, by the way, I replaced my chain two weekends ago and it was out of spec by about 10mm by the end of the first week (400 miles), which I expected. So I snugged it up a bit this weekend and it should be good for quite a bit longer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Went by the dealer today, they confirmed that the manual spec is "full travel", as in push down lightly then measure from there to top vertical play. They said I'm probably slightly outside the suggested tension, but it's close enough to make it not worth the effort for a half turn on the tensioning bolts.

FYI for anyone in San Diego, I can't say enough good things about the guys at Rocket Motorcycles on Morena. They are always helpful and seem to sincerely care about helping me get my bike exactly how I want it.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

1 - 20 of 22 Posts