Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
getting ready to give my baby an oil change

the manual says Cstrol semi or full synthetic.

does it really matter if some other brand is used?

a friend uses Silkolene in his coz its often on a special discount price at the local auto store, but I wnat to be sure that I'm not going to blow up the engine or somthing

·
Registered
166 Posts
Anytime oil is brought up on an online forum you'll get a ton of conflicting information. I'm no expert, so take this advice with a grain of salt.

http://www.amazon.com/Castrol-Power1-10W-40-Synthetic-Motorcycle/dp/B008MISDH4/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1463986900&sr=8-11&keywords=castrol+oil

The above oil is what I use. The important thing is to use an oil that meets or exceeds the API SL and JASO MA-2 standards.

Because the oil also lubricates the clutch, you don't want to use regular automobile oil, it won't have the proper additives for a wet clutch.

You can use any brand you like. I use the Castrol because it's the cheapest I could find that meets the spec. That said, it's certainly not cheap.

·
Registered
166 Posts

·
Registered
Thruxton 1200 R , 900 , KTM Duke 390 , Honda NSR 125 , SWM 124
1,830 Posts
I used to use Silkolene because it was manufactured a few miles from where I then lived now its owned ( I think ) by a German company and I have some of their cleaning stuff mainly because it was on offer but also it is called " Fuchs Off " . Next oil going in my Thruxton is Castrol Power 1 .

·
Registered
166 Posts
Didn't notice you weren't in the United States. Ignore my link to the Castrol Power RS, it's US only. The Castrol Power 1 mentioned above is what you'll find in your part of the world.

Mobil 1, Motul, Bel-Ray, Silkolene and Repsol all make oils available in Australia that'll fit the bill. There is no "right" oil, just make sure it meets the specs and you'll be fine. The factory manual mentions Castrol specifically because they probably get in cheaply in bulk.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Ah! an oil thread. Here we go!

Reactions: vitesse

·
Registered
301 Posts
As long as it meets the minimum requirements, you should be fine. I was running Amsoil in all my machines, but it just simply got to be too expensive and hard to easily buy in bulk for me. So now I just use the OEM Triumph "recommended" Castrol in all my bikes. Whatever you go with, go for gallon jugs as you'll use pretty much all of it and it's cheaper that way

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Anytime oil is brought up on an online forum you'll get a ton of conflicting information. I'm no expert, so take this advice with a grain of salt.

http://www.amazon.com/Castrol-Power1-10W-40-Synthetic-Motorcycle/dp/B008MISDH4/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1463986900&sr=8-11&keywords=castrol+oil

The above oil is what I use. The important thing is to use an oil that meets or exceeds the API SL and JASO MA-2 standards.

Because the oil also lubricates the clutch, you don't want to use regular automobile oil, it won't have the proper additives for a wet clutch.

All those people that have used Mobip 1 and Shell Rotella will be real surprised to find that out. :grin2:

My Sprint St currently has Amsoil in it, but I think I have lost my Amsoil distributor, so I will be switching brands.

·
Registered
166 Posts
All those people that have used Mobip 1 and Shell Rotella will be real surprised to find that out. :grin2:

My Sprint St currently has Amsoil in it, but I think I have lost my Amsoil distributor, so I will be switching brands.
That's why I said to take my advice with a grain of salt. Oil threads are always a ****-show.

You can use pretty much anything and get away with it, however I get peace of mind using the oil designed for the application.

To me it's kind of like how you could use a crescent-wrench to loosen a bolt and you may not have issues but I'll always reach for a box wrench.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts