Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of scientific types around here so...

Used to be they would tell you "It's good to keep your vehicles full" to minimize any possibility of condensation forming and sinking to the bottom of the tank if there is a big temperature drop.

Since water dissolves readily in alcohol (and then would just run through the engine) would this no longer be an issue if you use "up to 10% ethanol" as marked on the pump???

Just wondering...

MD

·
Registered
445 Posts
Seems plausible? Do you have access to some Gasohol? Or maybe go by some Everclear and make your own? Put some in jar then add some water and see what happens. I'm very much try it and see scientific type.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
If you refridgerate your garage to 0C, it shouldn't be a problem.

Actually I tend to wonder if the blended fuel is already saturated with water and general schmutz from the stations underground tank.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
My past experiences with gasohol hasn't been too good. Any moisture in the fuel was precipitated out and clogged up the filter.

The blends have been around for quit awhile and never really caught on. Now, like in our state, it's getting common. Our idiot fearless governor has mandated blended fuels against all logic.

This should be interesting as I know of a few law suits against the state where people with engines that require a higher octane fuel, because of law have been forced to use lower blended fuel and detonation hammered them.

My VW Passat VR6 is very fuel sensitive and I can really tell a difference. Fortunately I have unblended higher octane available to me and run this in the car and bike.

Don

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Would that fuel be blue? :D
Sometimes. We have to fill the tug up at times. Other times I just get the real 130 oct. racing fuel and spread it around. A dollop here and dollop there. Sometimes some acetone, sometimes benzine or a mixture.

I get the racing fuel mainly for the Kaw 2 stroke. Then I can run the real good oil with a little more oil which leans it out a mite and she runs like a raped ape.

I've been known to smell like a chemical plant going down the road:D.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've lived in states that had the 10% alcohol fuel for a decade and I haven't had any fuel-related problems with my TBS, except I had to get the carbs cleaned five years ago. That was more due to not riding (I'm a sailor and it's hard to ride when you're on deployment) than to questionable fuel, I think. But you never know. It could be that I'm due for another carb cleaning in a year or two. Also, in some states a product called Heet is sold as a fuel-line antifreeze. It's just isopropanol, which works by allowing any water in the fuel to mix with the gasoline to be burned in the engine. I think that ethanol would work the same way - unless it's already saturated. In any case, I run my bike on reserve for a few miles every month to get rid of any moisture lurking down there. Just remember to put it back before you run out of gas!

·
Registered
509 Posts
After reading the foregoing posts.
Gasahol, will increase octane rating, not decrease it. It does lower the overall energy density of the fuel though so consumption and power output will suffer.

Ethanol is not isopropynol, different compounds and different blending characteristics. The ethanol will be more tightly bound with the gasoline and probably will lose most of its hydrophyllic properties when blended. Still best to keep the tank full.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
As we used to say, "Gasoline is for washing parts, Alcohol is for drinking, Nitro is for racin'."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts