Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Does chrome have to BLUE? From Newbie

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Bonnecuse 
#1 ·
does the exhaust have to blue? is there something I need to do before I ride it. To be honest I don;t really care that much if it is going to be a hassle to maintain. I may just end up with some aftermarket black pipes anyway. And do chicks did the Bonnie?

#5 ·
On 2006-04-24 15:36, iandel wrote:
G'day,

The only sure way to stop the pipes blueing is to refrain from starting the engine. Abstinence is not all that it is cracked up to be. Ride it and take pride in your blue "racing" pipes. :cool:
Listen to the man from down under!!! A bike with shiny pipes is a bike that sits. Ride it and enjoy. Blue means you go faster than a yuppie on his Handly Donaldson

#6 ·
I couldn't find a helmet that looked like a paper bag so I did some research, 90% of it here and just bit the bullet and bought some Raask headers and mufflers. $895.00 from Sweden and the are beautiful, no kinks, sound great and look like they're supposed to. Double walled ,the local dealer put them on for me, yanked the AI, re-jetted, and I couldn't be happier. Don't kid your self blue pipes are embarrasing, especially if you have owned a vintage Triumph before. As soon as I can get some snaps up loaded to my website I will let you know how they look. . But I gauruntee you when I go to the British show in Germantown next month I will be asked a million times where did I get those pipes. I think they should be stock on all the new bikes. What if the discs for the breaks just rusted after 50 miles? Hinckley could do better.

#7 ·
Raymando,

Thanks for the kind words...

You'll get used to the blue pipes. I'm still not a fan of them, but I'm learning to like my particular pipes.....probably because they did not blue all the way to the second bend. Also, it does not matter how much you do or do not ride. If your A.I. is still on the bike, the pipes will blue in a hurry. Ride it home from the shop....or just let it idle to long....and it will be too late. That sucks.

BellaCorse and NewBonneville both have the A.I. removal kits.

Do a search for AI removal and you will find multiple instructions. It's fairly simple, you just need a couple of oil pan bolts and copper washers, a couple of rubber manifold caps, and a big rubber plug or cap.

There is also a way to not remove the entire A.I. assembly (it's really easy anyway), and just plug certain holes and tubes, but I have never tried it.

[ This message was edited by: Panthermark on 2006-04-24 17:01 ]

G
#8 ·
the bluing , personally i like the blue , it just looks right to me . as far as removing blue , i've heard about a product , years ago called - blu-away - . double wall pipes will get rid of the blue i suppose and i've heard about - ceramic coating - in the pipes interior . i've even heard that high temp paint in the pipes interior will work . --- http://www.streetuned.com/performance/exhaust_headers --- if my link works it oughta take you to a little article about - blu-away - !! a bottle 2.5 ounce from germany is 17.99 .

#9 ·
Blue pipes are old school.Jerkyboy those Raasks are real nice,but no one will laugh if Raymandos pipes blue.Only if he franticly tries to prevent it.Just do the AI kit Raymando and they will blue less. And yes chicks DIG the bonnie and the guy on it.Don't get a solo seat :-D

[ This message was edited by: meatwagon on 2006-04-24 18:08 ]

#10 ·
Blue pipes are cool. Functional beauty. I use SemiChrome twice a year to keep the blue down. That and the AI replacement was done before I started the bike the first time. If we could ever get to post albums, I'd be glad to show you pics of 4000 miles and mostly gold pipes.

#11 ·
The question should be:

"How do I get my chrome to blue up like a proper Bonnie?"

If you do it right, they'll get so dark you won't need to waste money on black pipes.

And, yes, the ladies love the Bonnie! At least thats what I like to think when I'm pulled up next to a carload of em.

<A HREF="http://www.triumphrat.net/modules.php?set_albumName=album1133&op=modload&name=Photo_Album&file=index&include=view_album.php" TARGET="_blank">
</A>

#12 ·
Ridge-

You obviously interpreted the phrase with it's correct intent.
I was unsure, and thus did not reply immediately, as I was be-deviled as to how to respond to a veiled implication of a woman/bike liason.

:-D

#14 ·
Scott, you are spending waaay too much time with your clubs! :roflmoa2:

Ray, She is mine! The gaters are functional (in that they help keep dirt out and hopefully preserve the life of the seals). The bar ends are Napoleons from New Bonneville.com.

The only other mods are the Superbars , British Customs airbox removal kit, rejetted the carbs and shimmed the needles, chrome cam cover, the Dart Flyscreeen and some other shiny bits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.