Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, not the Triumph, but the W650. The garage bike count is at least one, maybe two more bikes than I think I can manage. One of the guys on the W650 forum may buy my little gal.

The Bonnie is a fine replacement, but the W will be missed. I'm sure she has lots of riding left in her, even with 52k on the odometer. A couple of the guys on the W650 forum are approaching 70k miles, and still going strong.

I certainly would like to see Kawasaki bring the W650 back, as a 750 or 850 with 60-65hp.. I'd own that bike in a minute! With a candy red paint over chrome tank like the old Beezers, and T100 style chrome case covers, it would indeed be a knockout.

How do we get so attached to our bikes, anyway?

Bob

[ This message was edited by: ohiorider on 2006-12-07 13:40 ]

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
I always hate to sell a bike. Even when it's the practical thing to do, I still always have a sentimental attachment. Really hated to part with my Rocket III, for example, but I was extremely fortunate to find a good home for her where I can "visit" her once in a while.

Where is "the W650 forum," anyway? Alas, I discovered that model a little too late to buy a new one, but have always been intrigued by them.

I wish too wish Kawasaki would bring them back, as they look more like my old Bonnie than my new Bonnie does. However, that would no longer be the case if they tried to expand it to 750cc or greater, because 650 is the limit for kick starters.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
The only time I didn't feel bad (at the time) was when I traded my 400cc Norton as a down payment for a 750 Norton Atlas. Later when I looked back on it, I realized I got so little money that I should have kept it. Later still, when I got a family, I traded the Atlas in for a cage. I needed the money, but only got $250 for it. I should have kept it. I've learned. They will have to pry the T100 out of my cold dead hands.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
John, why do you feel 650cc is the limit for kick-starters?
I've had bigger bikes than that with kick starters.
Actually I wish all bikes still had them
G

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
I hate to sell a bike too, but for a different reason. It's a pain !

McQueen... i feel your pain. If it were me i'd never have sold that thing ! I love the old suzuki 2 strokes and had 3. The Titan was one of the ones i never had but wanted one. Why did you sell that ?!

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On 2006-12-07 14:52, sweatmachine wrote:
650 is the legal limit in the US for kickstarters, fairly recent law (in the last 10-15 years???).
I never knew there was a law //// maybe that's why the Kaw is called a W650, although it actually displaces 675cc.

Bob

·
Registered
199 Posts
On 2006-12-07 14:52, sweatmachine wrote:
650 is the legal limit in the US for kickstarters, fairly recent law (in the last 10-15 years???).
Reference please. I don't buy it.

Certainly from an engineering point of view, kick starting a R3 or a Goldwing would be downright impossible since the amount of compression you are talking about would be hard to get with any kick start gearing, but a law? I Google'd and Wiki'd and didn't find a thing.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On 2006-12-07 13:50, sweatmachine wrote:
they don't belong to us, we belong to them. If they're the right one...

I know a guy that's very happy with his W. I bet you'll miss the kick starter.
Sure, I'll miss the kick starter. But more than that, it is a really sweet bike, and one on which I spent a lot of time. BTW - have you ever thought about the amount of time you're in the saddle? I figure 40mph average for my overall riding. 52,000 miles divided by 40 mph = 1300 hours in the saddle. I'm afraid to break that down to work weeks! Aw, what the hey .... just about 33 forty hour work weeks ,,, and it sure beats work!

Bob

Bob

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On 2006-12-07 13:50, Diego wrote:
Where is "the W650 forum," anyway? Alas, I discovered that model a little too late to buy a new one, but have always been intrigued by them.
John - here's the link to the W650 Forum on Yahoo:
W650 Forum

Bob

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On 2006-12-07 16:14, hill8586 wrote:
Yes I Do .... :cool:
That is why I'm bike poor !
They are hard to part with! Maybe it's because the good ones are so consistantly good. No surprises .... they just perform, time in, time out, like we expect them to. Life should be so dependable.

Bob

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On 2006-12-07 13:58, McQueen wrote:
YES! I sold this bike awhile ago and have regretted it every day since...

I wasn't a two stroke fan when they were new, but now I find I am facinated by the monster two strokes from the 1970s, like your bike in the photo, and some of the Kaw H Series bikes, regardless of how they handled.

Bob

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On 2006-12-07 13:58, McQueen wrote:
YES! I sold this bike awhile ago and have regretted it every day since...

I don't think I told you what a fine looking machine this was. Beautiful!

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
> Certainly from an engineering point of view, kick starting a R3 or a Goldwing would be downright impossible since the amount of compression you are talking about would be hard to get with any kick start gearing, but a law? I Google'd and Wiki'd and didn't find a thing.

Well, they can't know everything. :)

If you want a specific reference, I expect you'll have to go to the Code of Federal Regulations and check out DOT rules. The change was written up in the motorcycle mags in the 80s, if memory serves, Beyond that, you're on your own.

The cutoff point --which actually is somewhere between 650 and 750 for twins, and at one time at least, varied with the number of cylinders-- may be arbitrary, but anything of this sort has to be start at some point.

These days my old knees tell me 750 was too high, especially when the bike takes as long to start as my '76 sometimes did. :-D

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Buying a bike you like, and later selling it seems like a very alien concept to me.
Especially the Triumphs!
Just like with all the cars I've owned, either you keep it forever or ride it until it don't ride any more.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.