Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been reading through a lot of the previous threads on windscreen recommendations and reviews. Seems that most people really dislike the OEM Triumph Roadster screen. Seems like you can buy much less expensive screens that actually perform better.

I got a Roadster screen as part of the purchase of my used Bonnie and I'm wondering if it's even worth it to mount it and give it a try or if it should go directly to the local classifieds.

I don't mind the wind blast at highway speeds for an hour at a time and i definitely think the bike looks better without a screen but thinking ahead to some future road trips, i will probably want to fit a screen at some point at least for the looooong rides.

Does anybody out there like the roadster screen (cost not being an issue)? Is it at least a bit better than no screen at all?

If it makes any difference, I'm about 6'2" and longer in the back than the legs so i probably sit up a bit higher than most. I wear a full face helmet.

I know. I know....I should just put the screen on and ride with it for awhile but commuting back and forth to work doesn't put me on the highway much. Just wondering if anyone that has used the screen at highway speeds for an extended time could share their opinion.

Thanks

·
Registered
866 Posts
Give it a try, that's the only way to know if you like it or not. I think that much of the problem is the effectiveness vs. cost ratio. It's a bit out of whack in this case. It's quite easy to get a more effective screen for a lot less cash. Since you didn't pay full retail, you aren't going to get as PO'd if it proves less than successful. I have minimal experience with them (it was on the bike I test rode), I didn't really find it terribly effective, but then I didn't have much chance to mess with it.

Your bike, your opinion is the one that matters.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
No sense in offering my opinion on the screen. I am only 5'4" and any screen would be an improvement over none at all. I have ridden with and without the screen and it stays on the bike. You might as well mount it up. There are only four bolts for the install and you can do it quickly. I actually like the look of the bike with the screen on. It hides the instruments so they do not stand out so much. Easier to clean the bugs off the front end too.

·
Registered
333 Posts
i've got one collecting dust in my shed, worse screen i've tried. i'm 5ft9in. parabellium is the way to go.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm 6 feet tall and used the Roadster screen for several years. I much prefered riding with it then without. I didn't think it looked bad either. Since you are 6'-2" tall - my guess is that you will catch the blast at about the bottom of your nose with the Roadster screen. It will take most of the blast off your chest. With a full face helmet you may be satisfied with it. Give it a try.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I personally have noticed reduced blast on my chest with the Roadster fly screen. Most of my riding is urban, so riding at very high speeds (over 90 mph) has not been an issue. The real plus side to the screen, however, is not having to scrape bugs off the gauges and triple trees.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback

I'm starting to gather that the effectiveness of a windscreen has a lot to do with the height/position of the rider and also personal expectations as to what you want the screen to do for you.
Guess i'll have to bolt it on and take a ride.
Thanks Again,
M

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm starting to gather that the effectiveness of a windscreen has a lot to do with the height/position of the rider and also personal expectations as to what you want the screen to do for you.
Guess i'll have to bolt it on and take a ride.
Thanks Again,
M
You are exactly right. I am now using the Parabellum Scout and I am very happy with it. I can ride with 3/4 helmet and have no need for ear plugs - with their 18" shield I have virtually no wind noise or turbulence. The Scout will give your bike a sort of cruiser/roadster look; some will not like it. Whatever I may have lost in looks I have more than doubled in my riding enjoyment - I like it that much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts