I've only seen a '06 model of Tiger and I don't like
it's plastic tank. Which versions of Tiger (if any) have
metal tank?

Regards
Lisciasty

·
Registered
255 Posts
None of the Hinckley Tigers has ever had a metal tank. Not sure why you'd want one to be fair as the plastic tank seems capable of taking alot more abuse than a metal one.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
The new 2007 Tiger has now got a metal tank, instead of the plastic one. Don't know why ???, but it has.......

·
Registered
202 Posts
One reason for the metal tank is that it is thinner and lighter than that tougher plastic one. The 07 Tiger is on a road diet now and the reduced weight, aerodynamics, new engine and whatever are supposed to even out things mileage wise.

And I was thinking that I could use an auxillary tank for my 05.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm, actually I don't know why I want metal tank :)

All of my former bikes have metal tank and when I saw
plastic one, it seems to me a bit... how to say it in english...
not massy? not reliable?
But if it's nothing wrong with plastic tank, that's okay ;)

·
Registered
518 Posts
The '07 has a metal tank because if made of plastic the walls of the tank would have to be thicker. Therefore, the tank would not have the capacity it has now that it is metal. At least that what the article said in CycleWorld. :wink:

·
Registered
784 Posts
From personal experience - ouch - when you drop a Tiger 955 the tank just needs a respray. When you drop an '07 ( and you will ) if the tank is metal it will be a write-off. Choose now !

·
Registered
518 Posts
On 2006-11-29 12:07, mikeg15 wrote:
From personal experience - ouch - when you drop a Tiger 955 the tank just needs a respray. When you drop an '07 ( and you will ) if the tank is metal it will be a write-off. Choose now !
Awe, come on now, not all of us have short legs. :razz:

·
Registered
784 Posts
Maybe he's not 6ft 4 like us - which means that when you lose it , it hurts more 'cos it's from a greater height but plastic tanks just seem to bounce.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I've just seen the article in MCN comparing the 07 with three other bikes and it's more obvious from the photos of the Triumph looking down on the bike that the tank is shrouded by the fairing unlike the previous model. Therefore dropping one probably won't result in a written off metal tank.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
IIRC it was Triumph's request to the UK government that got the law changed here to allow plastic tanks on the road. They wanted to use one on their "new" Tiger. The law was originally introduced because of fibreglass tanks splitting on impact and spilling their contents all over the road.
Plastic can be moulded into any strange shape and can, therefore, fill in all the space around the carbs etc. with fuel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts