Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 Speedy, w 5900 miles, Arrow exhaust.........when I first bought it Feb 08 since it was a long term resident at the dealer before I bought it, I had a problem with a weak battery, and the bike flooded. They replaced the battery and plugs under warranty.....after that pain in the ass of the dealer attempting to fix it twice, everything has been fine for 14 months and I've enjoyed the bike since, doing regular service work only and replacing a rear tire.

Now the battery shows signs of being weak, IE starter kicking out and fuel pump cycling before cranking again. (No, I am not twisting throttle while cranking). I first noticed it over the weekend, but it started and ran fine Saturday, I rode it......the next day I had to move it and it ran very rough, I ran it long enough to clear out or so I thought. This morning I was going to go riding, the bike tried to start but the battery either stopped or it cranked and I could clearly tell it was flooding. Now gotta go back to the damn dealer and hope they take care of it. I just notice that when the battery shows signs of wear, the whole bike acts up........I hadn't seen any other reason for it to flood.......any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yes it can. With a weak battery, your injectors will fire but your spark plugs will have a weak spark. So you load up the cylinders with fuel, and foul the plugs.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes sense, just wanted to make sure I was on the right path :) Thanks! So how long should the batteries last? Seems to me 14 months is on the short side?

·
Registered
446 Posts
It sounds like the last few rides have all been short... what is your average ride time?? Curious if your battery is getting enough time to recharge while riding. Have you attempted to throw the battery on a charger and see if that helps?

Typicaly you should be able to get at least 3 years or more out of a battery as long as it is put on a tender during storage or periods of not getting ridden longer then a few weeks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sounds like the last few rides have all been short... what is your average ride time?? Curious if your battery is getting enough time to recharge while riding. Have you attempted to throw the battery on a charger and see if that helps?

Typicaly you should be able to get at least 3 years or more out of a battery as long as it is put on a tender during storage or periods of not getting ridden longer then a few weeks.
Usually my rides range from 10-40 miles.....I do need to invest in a tender. The short run times were having to move the bike twice in a day with no considerable ride time..........I do not have to do this often but in the past have not had this trouble. So there's a possibility that charging the battery may make it start and the plugs may be ok, or do you think they are fubar'd regardless?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Charging the battery should cure the problem, And invest in the battery tender! Most people do not understand that, unless you are riding around 100 miles after every start, battery does not have a chance to recover from cranking charge expenditure and slowly goes down. Periodic recharging with tender is a must, putting on battery tender once a week (overnight, even if you commute on it every day) is recommended. Some connect to tender every time they pull into garage - overkill, but it will definitely promote battery health and long life.
BatteryMinder is recommended - from mine (and others) experience. It has desulfation cycle that recovers neglected batteries and keeps them at peak performance.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
That makes sense, just wanted to make sure I was on the right path :) Thanks! So how long should the batteries last? Seems to me 14 months is on the short side?
I have an 05 with the original battery and it still holds a full charge.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have an 05 with the original battery and it still holds a full charge.
'06, riding 30km at a time, twice a day and still going strong.

Did cough a little after I was off it for three months with a blown out knee but never ever seen a battery tender or jump start :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok all fixed. I bought a battery tender, and the dealer found a recommendation from Triumph to use a different heat range plug, a CR8EK to replace the CR9Ek....so with that and keeping the battery healthy, I hope we are back to our regularly scheduled program :) That and Triumph suggested to me to ride it like I stole it, the longer the better!

Here is the funny part..........during the week we had perfect weather and I was pissed off about not being able to ride......my friend has an 08 Yamaha FZ1 and told me to ride it and then get rid of the Triumph and get a real motorcycle like his.......I was like, ok. I rode it and came back in 5 minutes and told him, the only chance in hell of this bike beating mine is when mine isn't running, thanks, but I will wait for Speedy!

Oh, and the dealer replaced the radiator cap, it spat some coolant out the top seal of it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
i was having stalling problems off idle until i replaced my 5 year old battery this past week...

i am thinking a weak battery might have been the problem with my 2000 sprint as well...

glad you got it fixed...

later,
Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts