Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need my 12k service. These Speed Triples are simple machines. This is what they do for $800?

1) Air filter
2) Spark plugs
3) Throttle Body sync.
5) check ECU for errors
6) Valve check and/or adjust
7) Oil change
8) TPS alignment
9) cable adjustments
10) chain adjust
11) rear wheel bearing maybe?

Basically, I only need 7 out of those 10 things done. Do they repack the rear wheel bearing too I hope? Also, I've changed my coolant and brake fluid in the last week so don't need that.

Does $800 seem high or am I just a cheap bastard? I thought all that would be about $350. Let's see $90/hr labor. So that's 9 hours labor? You're kidding me right?

·
Registered
34 Posts
although ive yet to reach the 12k service, $800 is ridiculous. i would never pay that.

i always go through the details regarding what will be done, labour hours, price etc.. before i hand any mechanic the keys to avoid surprises like that. ask them nicely how they came to that. gl

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have done all that ( except the ecu tune ) and have the tools and experience as I have built airplanes from the ground up. All that listed would take me about 3 hours if I was going slow. I don't mind paying someone $90/hr for their skill and prefer to pay someone so I won't have to. But, I think that price is ridiculous. It ain't no Ducati. Triumph is a very simple easy to get at design. My buddies that ride Japanese bikes are all getting the same service done at 12k for $400 with parts.

So, in 120,000 miles I would have 10 tunes and spend $8,000 on only the 12k tunes? Plus all the other stuff I do myself. I don't think so.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I paid exactly $381.36 for my 12k service. After the checks you listed in your first post, the only thing changed was the oil and my valves didn't need adjustment. Sounds like your shop is trying to make a quick buck.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Your getting hosed.
Should be around 400, also I believe the rear wheel bearing is sealed, so there isn't any repacking needed.
Is that what they told you?

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Just have them check the valves and Throttle body synch. Do the rest yourself. Two of the rear wheel bearings are sealed, and the other is needle bearings that shouldn't need greasing until 24,000.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I think the standard price here is about $NZ800-$US470 at a dealer!
I've just had mine done for a little over $NZ900, but that included extras like having my fuel map dialed in with TuneBoy, Motul 300V oil, brakes overhauled, several other issues sorted and over 800 service pictures etc!
My bike came back like new and I was extremely happy with the quality service I received!

Here's some service pics to give some idea!

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Yeah, it is probably high. But, if you have the skill and time to do the service, you may as well do it. At least you know it is being done right.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good advice guys.

They didn't tell me about the rear wheel bearing. I just assumed if it needed a re-pack they would do it.
I have all the tools including mercury sticks in my hanger so I am going to do all of it myself except for the valves since I don't stock the shims. I am such a perfectionist that I will do a better job anyway.

I don't want my warranty voided however since I am a not an authorized dealer. Will this be the case?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I paid around £630 (sterling) for 12k service with a new back tyre (Pilot Road 2) and brake pads all round. This was from a very highly rated dealer, (60 miles away), I could have gone to a closer one but I wanted to try this outfit out.
I had been warned it would be a min of £400.

I can confirm they were excellent but I almost choked at the costs.
I even thought they had put a new chain and sproket set on as it looked brand new but it had just been cleaned.

5 hours labour they charged.

My 12k was done in under 2 years.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think the standard price here is about $NZ800-$US470 at a dealer!
I've just had mine done for a little over $NZ900, but that included extras like having my fuel map dialed in with TuneBoy, Motul 300V oil, brakes overhauled, several other issues sorted and over 800 service pictures etc!
My bike came back like new and I was extremely happy with the quality service I received!

Here's some service pics to give some idea!
Ya...but you're a kiwi. This here is America where most shops do things half ass.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Good advice guys.

They didn't tell me about the rear wheel bearing. I just assumed if it needed a re-pack they would do it.
I have all the tools including mercury sticks in my hanger so I am going to do all of it myself except for the valves since I don't stock the shims. I am such a perfectionist that I will do a better job anyway.

I don't want my warranty voided however since I am a not an authorized dealer. Will this be the case?
I just did my 12K service. My valves didn't need any adjustment. But the shims are readily available from places other than the Triumph dealer. A bunch of the Japanese twin cam bikes use the same shims. And some of the older Toyota twin cam engines do too.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ferris,

By the way that mechanics detail work looks exquisite. Can I get his number so he can come over to California and do my speedy?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Ferris,

By the way that mechanics detail work looks exquisite. Can I get his number so he can come over to California and do my speedy?
You're right, it is exquisite! Well worth the 2 hour ride to his workshop. California would be quite a ride from here me thinks lol!
Some more attention to detail and issue's below that you might find interesting. Note what can happen when water gets into the engine through incorrectly torqued bolts!

·
Registered
39 Posts
From what I have heard from Automotive warranties, If you do the work yourself (regular service) then you can without taking it to a mechanic if you keep all receipts of equipment used and log what you have done to the vehicle to show the manufacturer if a warranty issue arises. I would suggest if you do it yourself to have a camera on hand and document what you have done. Preferably one that puts a time stamp on the picture. No warranty that I have heard of specifically requires you to have the service done at a dealer. If you do It right, with picture proof and proper torque settings they should not be able to deny any warranty claims.

This is just what I have found and heard over the times on the internet and from friends. It's not legal advise though cause I don't want to be responsible if something bad happens. 0_0

·
Registered
201 Posts
I paid $950 (at 65-70,000) for basically a 12,000 mile service...
...of course I got a set of Pilot Road IIs, and all 6 of my intake valves had to be shimmed a stepper motor hose had to be replaced (dry rotted), got new intake grommets installed (#1 had an airleak) and a new clutch cable, and the usual seaonal radiator flush.

All told, there service itself was around $500 and the rest was parts (6 shims, tires, hose, grommets and cables) in additon to a Tune (5600 feet above sea level0, O2 adjustment.

I miss that dealer...a lot.

$800 for 12,000 miler is just insane. Thats up there with the harely guy at the bar that told me about his $600 FORK SEAL job.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ferris,
Your bike is so clean! And that rear shock. I put on a hugger as mine was a mess.

Great pic's. I got a kick out of the 33Nm on the rear brake lever. I replaced mine and found that to do it right you need to remove the plate (like you did). Not enough room to get a proper wrench on it.

Your mechanic is like a surgeon for motorcycles. I'm ashamed of how messy my home shop is!

Best regards
Larry

1 - 20 of 34 Posts