Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi All, just out of interest, now that we are all getting a bit older and a bit more sensible, does anyone still enjoy pulling a good wheelie???
Every time I ride! Infact I just ordered a 45t sprocket for the back. Hopfully it will power wheelie in 2nd once that's installed. I want to stop abusing my clutch for those higher speed wheelies!! :motorbike2

·
Registered
430 Posts
Ball Crushing

Also, the streetfighter is about 165kgs if i remember compared to the 2011 S3 of 214kg. So about 50kgs difference and a slightly bigger engine give it the advantage. But who wants one of those ball crushers anyway!
I have one of those ball crushers,I love the power but hate having my balls MASHED.I'm over here looking at the S3 forum and wondering if the speed 3 smashes your junk?I wanted a new model S3 but they were not out yet when I bought the streetfighter,wished I would have waited.now the S3R is here.I may as well wait now for the 1200 motor.[/QUOTE]
You can avoid ball crushing with the addition of Tech Spec Snake Skinz tank pads. Your knees will not slip on the tank sides.
Buck do you think you will be able to keep it up thru the first 4 gears like you did on the KLX 400SR?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Shocking confession: I have never intentionally wheelied the S3. Happened once on acceleration, but that's it. I'm just concerned with flipping too far or landing too hard, plus I've always been told stunting on the street was bad...

·
Registered
192 Posts
48 yo with a gray beard, and I love lifting that front wheel. My issue is I log long trips and need the "economy" of the stock sprockets, but at 230lbs, shorter gearing would pop the front faster.
My longest was 100yrds long and totally unintentional. The dealer installed bar end mirror locked the throttle wide open during an impromptu lesson I was giving a Honda owner at a stoplight. Scared me to death, but taught me how balanced she was.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
2nd gear power wheelies

Every time I ride! Infact I just ordered a 45t sprocket for the back. Hopfully it will power wheelie in 2nd once that's installed. I want to stop abusing my clutch for those higher speed wheelies!! :motorbike2
I was debating whether to change the gearing but I just picked my up from having its first service done and I also had a custom dyno tune done while it was there as I've changed the exhaust and put a K&N filter in and I have to say, its a different bike as where it took a bit of promting to power wheelie in 2nd before being dyno tuned (standard gearing) now at around 5000rpm I just snap it open and the front comes straight up without any hesitation and its happy to keep it up through 3rd then 4th so I won't have to clutch it up to often anymore and I'll stick with the standard gearing for now! I only gained an extra 4.8hp but the dyno graph before and after is like chalk n cheese (127.2 before and 132hp after) with a torque curve that is consistant the whole way through the rev range. I'm wrapped with the results and highly recommend a custom map done on the dyno.....it also shoots some pisser blue flames out on over run :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a Ducati Hypermotard 1100S, Ducati Streetfighter 1099 and Spondon GSXR1216 Streetfighter in addition to my Triumph and all off them are real wheelie monsters.

The Hypermotard will power wheelie in second to pretty much the balance point. The Ducati Streetfighter will easily power wheelie in the first three gears and the Spondon can power wheelie off the throttle in fifth. You need to be a bit careful as here in the UK the police will try to get your licence pulled if they see you pulling a proper wheelie (if the front end is less than 2 foot from the ground it doesn't really count as a wheelie does it???).

Whilst some people might think that Wheelies aren't big and they aren't clever they do give you a sudden surge of adrenalin and tend to put something of a grin on your face.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Never deliberately done a wheelie and never really wanted to, when I see guys wheelieing on public roads all I can think of is "what a cock"

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't do it intentionally, but I've had the front wheel off the ground in most gears accidentally.

Every time I pin it on the straight at the race track, the front end up comes up a little.

That's on a 2019 Speed Triple RS.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a few bikes that are considered wheelie monsters (Speed Triple 1050, Ducati Hypermotard 1100S, Ducati Streetfighter 1099, Suzuki TL 1000S, Husqvarna SM610) so am not averse to occasionally lofting the front (although only when safe and not likely to cost me my licence). The Speed triple is a bike that's relatively easy to wheelie but there are easier wheelie bikes around as well. My Hypermotard will easily power wheelie in 2nd to the balance point (just open the throttle) and it comes down nice and softly. The Ducati Streetfighter is easier to Wheelie than the Speed triple and it will loft the front immediately on the power (from low revs) in the first 3 gears (3rd gear less so). The TL1000S is similar to the Speed Triple but also slightly more eager to loft the front immediately on the power and the Husky is a decent Supermotard bike so it goes without saying. The Speed Triple seems to loft the front as the revs get higher (a bit like a 2 stroke bike of the past) and then it can come up fairly quickly if the throttles fairly wide open in 1st. This can lead to panic shut offs and front end crashing down if the rider isn't completely aware.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
My 2013se didn't really have the power to wheelie without using the clutch and I don't really trust my reflexes so much anymore, so no.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts