Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I wheelie every time i take my baby out. In 1st gear. She starts to lift a bit in second as well. I usually help her out and lift the bars.

I haven't had much experience doing wheelies, so i am finding it hard to do clutch wheelies in 2nd. Any tips? I have seen most videos on youtube about it as well. It just seems to rev the crap out of it when i drop the clutch and doesn't even feel like lifting.

Also, the streetfighter is about 165kgs if i remember compared to the 2011 S3 of 214kg. So about 50kgs difference and a slightly bigger engine give it the advantage. But who wants one of those ball crushers anyway!

·
Registered
58 Posts
The Streetfighter is about 169kg dry and the 2011 S3 about 189kg dry so it's not that big difference. Ducati benefits from its bigger engine with more power.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I haven't had much experience doing wheelies, so i am finding it hard to do clutch wheelies in 2nd. Any tips? I have seen most videos on youtube about it as well. It just seems to rev the crap out of it when i drop the clutch and doesn't even feel like lifting.
get very very comfortable with power wheelies in first before attempting clutched wheelies in second... you thought it happend fast with the throttle in first, its about 5 times faster with the clutch in second when you finally do it... you will shat bricks the first time...

·
Registered
185 Posts
its about 5 times faster with the clutch in second when you finally do it
Yet more controlled! You're already that high in the revvs when clutching up that there's not that big a punch left to surprise you. Unlike in 1st, where you make use of the steep torque curve at about 4000k by releasing the throttle and whack it almost instantaneous. BUT revving it further and the big punch is yet to come at about 7000/8000. That's when a backflip is inevitable.

·
Registered
900 Posts
first wheelie i ever did was on a '09 S3 demo bike two years ago. it was totally by accident and surprised the crap out of me back then. after putting 15k+ miles under my belt, i was a little more agile about pulling the front wheel when i test rode the '09 S3 i ended up buying this week. once i actually have it (finishing down payment) i have a feeling i'll be hard pressed to keep it down intentionally

·
Registered
51 Posts
My front wheel is up as soon as I leave my driveway. So far no complaints from the neighbors. 1st gear is so torquey (is that a word) that i can bring it up at little more than a walking pace. I had troubles at first with bringing the wheel up. I finally figured out it was because I was used to the 4 cylinder bikes needing to be revved so high to get into the power. On the Speed all your wheelie power is down low in the rev range, which is much safer in my opinion, as you don't need to carry as much speed into the wheelie. Anyone having troubles may be the same problem I had. Use the Torque luke. By the way I'm 37. Is that to old to be a hooligan?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey everyone,

I took my baby out for a ride on the weekend and i started practicing 2nd gear clutch wheelies and....i did it. woo. They were very crap ones i admit, but i still did it.

I was getting so annoyed that it wasn't lifting, then finally i took my time and got the timing right and up she went. I kept trying and couldn't get her up very far and my left hand is screwed from lifting the bars every time.

I will keep practicing. Thanks.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Put 18/45 or 17/43 or something like that on a S3 and your front wheel will not come down until about 5th ;) It's all about the gear ratio with powerful but balanced bikes.
Have to agree on the gearing, my 2000 Daytona 955i loved to power wheelie after dropping a tooth on the front sprocket...yeah you lose some top end speed, but track days were the only time I'd need/want 200KMH+.
Still "learning" the S3 power traits after only a couple of weeks of ownership but won't be long before I'm up on one! :p

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ball crusher

Also, the streetfighter is about 165kgs if i remember compared to the 2011 S3 of 214kg. So about 50kgs difference and a slightly bigger engine give it the advantage. But who wants one of those ball crushers anyway![/QUOTE]

I have one of those ball crushers,I love the power but hate having my balls MASHED.I'm over here looking at the S3 forum and wondering if the speed 3 smashes your junk?I wanted a new model S3 but they were not out yet when I bought the streetfighter,wished I would have waited.now the S3R is here.I may as well wait now for the 1200 motor.

·
Registered
23 Posts
But who wants one of those ball crushers anyway!

I have one of those ball crushers,I love the power but hate having my balls MASHED.I'm over here looking at the S3 forum and wondering if the speed 3 smashes your junk?I wanted a new model S3 but they were not out yet when I bought the streetfighter,wished I would have waited.now the S3R is here.I may as well wait now for the 1200 motor.
Hi Buellford. I must admit i did love the streetfighter. I test rode it twice as well as the S3 before buying my bike. I test rode a lot of bikes.

The salesman kept saying he rode his streetfighter everyday and never bothered him. I on the other hand really wanted a streetfighter but couldn't put up with the ball squash. very noticeable if you test ride back to back.

I have had my S3 for a few months now and am very happy with it. Glad i didn't go for the streetfighter. Its comfier, not as aggressive, cheaper and easier to ride around town at low speeds.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have never done a wheelie yet, maybe lack of experience explains why. It is something I want to try though, not too sure how to do it.

During winter time, I will have plenty of time to watch youtube for guidance !!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
You won't learn wheely-ing from watching youtube videos...
It's knowing your bike's throttle response at all RPMs inside out, and trial and error from there. A healthy feeling for balance and loads of two-wheeled-experience provided (doesn't matter if bicycles or motorcycles).

·
Registered
192 Posts
Also, the streetfighter is about 165kgs if i remember compared to the 2011 S3 of 214kg. So about 50kgs difference and a slightly bigger engine give it the advantage. But who wants one of those ball crushers anyway!
I have one of those ball crushers,I love the power but hate having my balls MASHED.I'm over here looking at the S3 forum and wondering if the speed 3 smashes your junk?I wanted a new model S3 but they were not out yet when I bought the streetfighter,wished I would have waited.now the S3R is here.I may as well wait now for the 1200 motor.[/QUOTE]

I have found all the triumphs I have owned have been ball crushers for me, and have replaced the seats with either a Corbin or a Sargent. After that, instant comfort. I rode my 05 s3 1050 on a 5,000 mile road trip and never suffered ball mashing.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts