Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, just out of interest, now that we are all getting a bit older and a bit more sensible, does anyone still enjoy pulling a good wheelie???

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi All, just out of interest, now that we are all getting a bit older and a bit more sensible, does anyone still enjoy pulling a good wheelie???
I'm not old :mad: 28 :)

And I'm no wheelie expert but every now and then I rip the throttle from a traffic light so the wheel is about 10-15cm of the ground. :cool:

·
Registered
185 Posts
It's said that nothing wheelies better, nothing wheelies easier than a Speed Triple. Of course I like to lift the front wheel off the ground. A controlled wheelie feels too good to pass up on it.
While I'm just getting the hang of clutch wheelies in 2nd, I tend to wheelie more in 1st. Roll on until ~4000RPM, close throttle and immediately twist it back open. Front wheel will "come off the ground as surely as a sunrise". Careful though, the front wheel rises quickly to about half past 10 ;) One wrong movement of your wrist at that height and torque and you'll flip.

·
Registered
58 Posts
With Speed Triple I really enjoy power wheelies on 1st but it doesn't have enough power to do it on 2nd. Okay, when I move my body back in the seat it happened sometimes but .... S3 isn't the best wheelie machine. You need to use clutch on 2nd.

Anyone tried Streetfighter ? Almost every time exiting the corner on 2nd, giving full throttle and .... whoooooo I can see only the sky :) very nice. I'm not big Streetfighter fan because it's riding position is a pain for me but it's real wheelie monster.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anyone tried Streetfighter ? Almost every time exiting the corner on 2nd, giving full throttle and .... whoooooo I can see only the sky :) very nice. I'm not big Streetfighter fan because it's riding position is a pain for me but it's real wheelie monster.
I test rode a Ducati Streetfighter in Seattle once. That thing is truly a wheelie monster. Any little flick of the wrist will get the front off the ground to some degree. Fun bike.

:D

·
Registered
572 Posts
I don't think I have ever ridden either of my Speed Triples without the front end getting airborne at some point, then again I can say the same for my Rocket 3. Maybe it's just the way I ride......

·
Registered
185 Posts
Put 18/45 or 17/43 or something like that on a S3 and your front wheel will not come down until about 5th ;) It's all about the gear ratio with powerful but balanced bikes.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Better question is "does anyone not wheelie their speed triple?" Mine is constantly airborne. I needed the clutch for second when it was stock, but after the exhaust and tune ecu treatment, second powers right up, and third on a good day under the right conditions.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Better question is "does anyone not wheelie their speed triple?" Mine is constantly airborne. I needed the clutch for second when it was stock, but after the exhaust and tune ecu treatment, second powers right up, and third on a good day under the right conditions.

·
Registered
185 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeh yeh, I get it.......maybe a bit of a silly question huh! I guess the Speedy's bring out the hooligan in all of us! My Old Man is 61 and he still likes pulling a wheelie even on his Sherman tank (Suzuki Bandit 1250) so I guess were never to old to have a bit of fun :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
With 18/45 gearing+pipe+ecu tune I like to wheelie second gear power wheelies, usually 70-120km/h ish. On third front lifts on pump on the road or something like that. :cool: Off the corners sometimes on second also.

On first gear it's too aggressive, but sometimes off the lights it's fun to lift front only 10-15cm to piss everyone off. :D

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'll be the contrarian here and say I don't wheelie mine. This is partly due to lack of skill/experience but also because between roads and traffic here I regrettably feel there isn't enough room to wing it open very often. Every now and then I'll goose it enough to make the bars light but I can't get any height before it's time to slow back down. It's bad enough trying to keep corner speeds up without some momwagen waddling out of their burbclave right in front of you. Makes a man want to switch to supermoto.

On the other hand (and on purpose or not) I end up powersliding the rear pulling out of lots / turning at stoplights moderately often, particularly when the Racetec rubber isn't as warm as I think it is.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts