Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you trust your Sprint for a long haul (100+ mile trip). What's the farthest trip you have made on your bike?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Do you trust your Sprint for a long haul (100+ mile trip). What's the farthest trip you have made on your bike?
Yes, I fully trust my Sprint but it is a machine after all and breakdowns can happen. Mine has never stranded me but if the worst should happen, my credit card will help get it sorted. Longest trip was just over 8000 km and I would not hesitate to take the same trip again.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Definitely. Longest trip in one day is 650miles which was the final day of a week long 3000 mile trip.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is the bike that unreliable? For someone like me (pre-covid), that could mean a breakdown every two to three days. Don't think it's reasonable not to trust any bike for such low mileage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did 2500 miles in 4 days back in 2009 on my 2002 Sprint RS955i to watch the Motogp at Le Mans. Bike ran perfectly

·
Registered
165 Posts
100 mile is not long haul, that't my ususal mid week morning ride for coffee.
If a bike can't handle that, no matter the make, it should be thrown in the scrap heap.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
I put 103,000 miles on one Sprint including an Iron Butt ride of 1500 miles in 36 hours. My next Sprint carried me on my 6,100 mile retirement ride and 84,000 miles total before I got my Tiger.

I never doubted their reliability.

Reactions: moreteavicar

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had my Sprint for over 10 years now and she's generally been very reliable - except an ignition issue which stopped her starting and the factory alarm draining the battery constantly. Once all that was removed and a new keyset installed througout, she's been good. A Li-PO battery helped too.

Longest journeys were multiple trips from Kent to Scottish Highlands but I use her everyday now from southern to northern Adelaide which is a 50km round trip daily. She goes alright - even in the summer when it's 45c outside and my arse gets cooked. Every time I think about maybe it's time to sell her and get something a little more modern with a few mod cons, I can never find a truly good reason to do so. I was going to ride her from central QLD to Adelaide but got a decent price on shipping - was never in doubt that she couldn't make it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yup, take it a couple hundred miles pretty much every time I get it out, done a thousand miles in 3 days. Would not hesitate a cross country trip on it tomorrow.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Is the bike that unreliable? For someone like me (pre-covid), that could mean a breakdown every two to three days. Don't think it's reasonable not to trust any bike for such low mileage.
It doesn't say anywhere that it's unreliable. I have mine for 3 years now and didn't a single issue with it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Like all machines - reliability depends how well you maintain them. Do the oil changes at the reccomended intervals at least. 100 miles is nothing for these, unless you're talking about riding through a pot-hole laden warzone that would wrek the shocks off most non-offroading vehicles.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Longest trip was roughly 1500km. With both the 955 and the GT.
I burnt 3 stators (2 w/ the 955 and 1 w/ the GT). For the GT I was close to home, but for the 2 others I was away and I got back w/o lights for saving the electrical energy powering only the ECU.
For long trip I think I'll carry a spare stator (that I bought) and a spare RR (that is already mounted on the bike).

One advice: measure the voltage permanently (dashboard voltage indicator) to be able to react the soonest possible.
Second advice: switch to a series RR. But I was told about some occurrences of burnt stator w/ a good series RR.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It doesn't say anywhere that it's unreliable. I have mine for 3 years now and didn't a single issue with it.
Someone that asks if the bike will survive 100 mile ride is kind of implying it, no? For many, that's two days worth of daily commute or a small weekend morning ride. Unless the OP missed an extra "0".

·
Registered
73 Posts
I burnt 3 stators (2 w/ the 955 and 1 w/ the GT). For the GT I was close to home, but for the 2 others I was away and I got back w/o lights for saving the electrical energy powering only the ECU.
For long trip I think I'll carry a spare stator (that I bought) and a spare RR (that is already mounted on the bike).

One advice: measure the voltage permanently (dashboard voltage indicator) to be able to react the soonest possible.
Second advice: switch to a series RR. But I was told about some occurrences of burnt stator w/ a good series RR.
To be fair this happens on a number of bikes, not just Triumph, as any google check on burnt stators throws up. Think it must be the switch to diodes made of Chinesium.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thinking about it the only unreliable thing I've found bearing the Triumph logo is the insurance company... Second year with them and they're asking me on threat of cancellation at cost, is for proof of no claims... which they already included in the renewal...

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
To be fair this happens on a number of bikes, not just Triumph, as any google check on burnt stators throws up. Think it must be the switch to diodes made of Chinesium.
Yes, I agree. But I just answered the question.
As a side note I had 2 honda 1 yamaha and 1 bmw and I encountered that issue only on the triumphs. BUT, taking into account probabilistic matters, I kept the triumphs far longer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the responses. I feel encouraged. I have never done a long trip, just mostly out and back the same day. I want to do a multi-day ride and wanted your feedback. I know it is a machine and things break, but as with anything, some things are more reliable than others.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I am replacing a stator and the R/R this weekend as well as installing a volt meter. Good advice - thank you.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My Sprint did cause me a few issues when I picked it up (used). Those were sorted out after a lot of consultation here, and it has run flawlessly since. I have been on numerous trips ranging up to 6 days, riding anywhere from 300 to 500 miles a day. It has never broken down on me on any of those trips.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts