Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - after your wisdom again!

On the way home after a really good run I thought I had got a puncture all went a bit wobbly and I couldn't get round corners. I had been down a newly surfaced road and assumed got a stone in the tyre. Got home checked the tyre and the pressure was fine. So. to cut a long story short, I noticed the chain looking like it was going to leap off the sproket whilst running on the stand. Took the cover off (inside was covered in lube gunk) and a stone fell out. So cleaned up the chain and the cover, also cleaned the breaks as I thought they were sticking a bit to. Just been out and it handles a lot better but the chain does seem noisy and jumps a little.

Do you think I should replace the chain and sprocket and could a problem with the chain cause handling issues like that?

Thanks
Marzy

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
Is your chain adjusted correctly?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good thought but did check that too.

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
Maybe slacken off your chain and take it off the sprockets and inspect the free movement of all the links. Also check for wear or warping on the sprockets.

You can also check for tight spots in the chain.

This can all be done with visual inspection, anything not visible by eye is unlikely to cause that serious of an issue - that would more be a noise or vibration issue.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll take the chain off and look for tight spots over the weekend, thanks guys. Was really surprised how it affected handling.
Cheers

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Me too Blackdog but can't work out what else it could be :confused:

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Me too Blackdog but can't work out what else it could be :confused:
A really knackered chain can cause a lurching sensation that you might confuse with poor handling, but that's all I can think of, unless the chain is moving the back wheel about (unlikely).

You don't say how old the bike is, or whether the chain and sprockets are recent. To track down a handling issue, I would be looking at wheel bearings, head bearings, swingarm bearings and the general security of all relevant fasteners first.

You say you had just been down a newly-surfaced road, and I wonder if that is a clue.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Blackdog, the bike is a Thruxton '06 and the chain and sprocket was replaced 18mths ago. When I checked that i noticed that the last service the fork oil wasn't replaced even though it was due. I think what is confusing is why it came on suddenly, before I went down that road it was handling perfectly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts